As the title suggests, it’s been a year since the launch of The Eternal Cylinder; a unique, original piece of gaming with a brilliant premise. Today it’s all about celebrating that anniversary with a new update and some glorious next-new-gen optimisation.
If you’ve never heard of The Eternal Cylinder before, then let us fill you in. This comes from the Good Shepherd and ACE Team squads, dropping us onto a strange alien world – and told to get on with it. But this place is far from friendly, totally threatened by the ever-moving, gargantuan The Cylinder. As a tiny little Trebhum, you’ll want to avoid it at all costs.
Thankfully, whilst your Trebhum race is far from quick or strong, you have a seriously good ability – the power of adaptation. Mutating, evolving and staying alive will be your primary goal. Just keep moving to ensure you don’t get crushed.
As a game, we love The Eternal Cylinder, with our original review of the Xbox One edition of the game praising it muchly; a 4/5 review pointed to the originality, the brilliant concept and the well designed visuals and sound.
So what are we doing here and now? Well, The Eternal Cylinder has only gone and got a next-gen upgrade, ensuring it is now fully optimised for Xbox Series X|S and PS5. And yes, that does mean we’re going to review it on Series X|S – stay tuned for those thoughts soon.
With that move comes the chance to work in some new graphical options as follows:
- New Graphics Options: The Eternal Cylinder has never looked so gorgeous! Become even more immersed in this wildly vivid world with the following upgrade options on select systems:
- Steam|Epic Games Store: Enjoy full support for 4K resolution and ray tracing.
- PlayStation 5: Choose between 4K or ray tracing modes, with support for haptic feedback and adaptive triggers on DualSense™ wireless controllers.
- Xbox Series X: Choose between 4K or ray tracing modes (ray tracing unavailable on Xbox Series S).
The upgrade is free.
But there’s more and also free is the Anniversary Update. A year on calls for celebrations and in The Eternal Cylinder players will be able to discover new creatues – a couple in fact, the Buddugh Gropp and the Gharukuk – along with the opportunity to try out a new mutation…
- New Creatures to Discover: Two new beings are roaming the world – approach at your own risk!
- The Buddugh Gropp is a highly aggressive herbivore found in the tundra biome.
- The Gharukuk is a large tripodal omnivore located in the desert.
- New Mutation: Your Trebhum have developed a spicy new mutation that lets them shoot jets of fire from their trunks, a powerful defense against predators – especially those with fur!
If you haven’t yet played The Eternal Cylinder then we’d highly recommend you do so right about now. You can find it on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, the PlayStation Store for PS4 and PS5 or on both Steam and Epic Games Store for PC.
It’ll cost you around about £23.74, or you could hold tight for our giveaway of The Eternal Cylinder code. It’ll be starting within the next 24 hours and you could win a free copy of the game on Xbox Series X|S.
“You were born on a dangerous planet. Surreal and fantastical environments, teeming with exotic creatures that defy description. This world is both terrifying and awe-inspiring, as full of wonder and mystery as it is dangerous. But whatever dangers can be found pale in comparison to this world’s biggest threat: The Cylinder. This gargantuan, ancient rolling structure crushes everything in its path. But where did it come from? And how can it be stopped? In this place, you are but a tiny creature called a Trebhum. While you may not be the fastest or the strongest, you have the most powerful ability of all: adaptation. Trebhum can mutate and evolve new physical attributes and abilities that can help them defend themselves against predators and navigate through this perilous world; what you lack in size, you’ll need to make up for in improvisation and resourcefulness. So, prepare yourself, little Trebhum. Gather your family for the dangerous journey ahead and save your world from The Eternal Cylinder.”