Having first arrived back in 2009, the Trine series of games has provided many moments of puzzle platforming goodness. Now though it’s time for Trine to return, this time with the biggest and best entry in the series, arriving alongside the Trine: Ultimate Collection.
Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince is due to hit Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PS4, Discord, Steam and other PC platforms in Autumn 2019, launching alongside the Trine: Ultimate Collection.
The fourth game in the series is coming about via the development team at Frozenbyte, with Modus Games handling the publishing side of things, with both teams today confirming the first gameplay details and revealing an official announcement trailer in the process.
Trine 4 will feature an all-new story that reunites Amadeus, Pontius, and Zoya, with The Nightmare Prince ensuring the return of the magic of 2.5D puzzle-platforming gameplay, one that defined a genre in Trine 1 and Trine 2. Trine 4 will see you playing as the three iconic heroes in the most extensive Trine adventure yet, complete with stunning new environments and a ton of dynamic, physics-based puzzles that fans have grown to know and love.
But it won’t just be a solo adventure and for the first time in a Trine game, four player cooperative play is being added in, allowing those who prefer to adventure with friends, the opportunity to do so. You’ll probably want to team up too, as more epic boss fights than ever before, highly fascinating puzzles, new skills, and lush vibrant landscapes will all be included, with a beautiful new soundtrack from the composer of Trine 1-3 helping tie things together.
- Gorgeous 2.5D landscapes. Explore uniquely designed levels in beautiful, 2.5 dimensions, from breathtaking ruins and haunted tombs to tranquil birch groves and blueberry forests.
- Local and online multiplayer. Play with up to 4 players online or in local co-op.
- Captivating storytelling. Follow the story of a haunted prince as you journey through magical fairytale landscapes inhabited by friendly creatures, as well as a host of nightmarish foes.
- Dynamic puzzle-solving. Solve puzzles – solo or with friends – that feature fire, air, light, magnets, electricity and more, with challenges tailored to the number of players.
- Abundant skill trees. Unlock diverse abilities and amazing new skills.
- Completely revamped combat system. Experience the heroes’ own bloodcurdling nightmares in boss fights featuring an enriched combat system with fresh challenges and thrilling action.
- Enchanting soundtrack. Enjoy a wondrous soundtrack with songs that bring life to each new environment.
But further to the Trine 4 news, Frozenbyte and Modus Games will also be bringing the Trine: Ultimate Collection, bundling together Trine: Enchanted Edition, Trine 2: Complete Story, Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power, and Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince on Xbox One, PS4 and PC – both digital and physical releases of this will be found.
It may well be the Trine: Ultimate Collection retail version that is the most enticing though, as this will include Trine 1-4, Trine Series Original Soundtrack (download code), Trine 4 Digital Art Book (download code), Collector’s Reversible Cover Sheet and a Physical Trine 4 World Map.
Will you be getting involved with Trine as it releases on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC? If so, is it the release of Trine 4 or the Trine: Ultimate Collection that floats your boat? Let us know in the comments.