2D side scrolling affairs are constantly on trend, and even though the genre is already full to the brim, there’s always a space for a new experience to come into its own. That’s what the Taiwanese studio of Glass Heart Games hope for, as they announce their debut title – Vigil: The Longest Night for Xbox One, PS4, PC and Nintendo Switch.
Due to arrive in early 2020 on Xbox One, PS4 and PC (Steam), with a Nintendo Switch version dropping a little later, Vigil: The Longest Night is a 2D side scroller that deals with a smattering of subtle cosmic horror.
Thrown into a world without sunlight, Leila, a member of the Vigil, returns to her hometown in search of a lost sister, before becoming lost in a world of unimaginable terror as she uncovers the secrets of the town and source of evil that plagues the countryside.
From there it is up to you to unravel the mysteries ahead, as you fight back against brutal enemies, mess around with multiple weapon types – sword, heavy weapons, daggers and a bow – and work wonders with a complex skill tree in order to become the ultimate warrior of the light.
Vigil: The Longest Night comes with a lovely graphical outlook too, with a detailed art style inspired by paintings from the medieval period and influenced by the art of Chinese Paper Cutting. But it is possibly due to the inspiration of the game, drawing ideas from the classics like Castlevania and modern marvels like Salt & Sanctuary and Bloodborne, will this game be able to really thrive.
Glass Heart Games hope that Leila’s tale will be able to catch the player’s attention with precise and technical combat as well as a rich and strong narrative; one that runs as a unique tale of eldritch horror that combines Lovecraftian prose and Taiwanese culture.
The key features of Vigil include:
- Experiment with 4 types of weapons — sword, heavy weapons, twin daggers, and bow — along with many mystical variations to be discovered.
- Use dozens of unique items to help, heal, and harm.
- Level up a complex skill tree to help you create the ultimate warrior of light.
- Battle variety of brutal enemies and the bizarre bosses from the depths of your nightmares.
- Unravel the multiple endings and uncover the secrets that lurk in the darkness.
- Become infected with the sinister mood evoked by dank caves, abandoned villages, and haunted forests.
- Listen to the atmospheric music by the talented Jouni Valjakka of popular Finish band Whispered.
Sound good? It looks good too and you can take in the announcement of Vigil in the trailer below. Give it a watch and then hold tight for more details as and when they emerge.
Will you be keeping an eye out for Vigil: The Longest Night as the weeks and months go by? What do you want to see from this side scroller? The comments section is down below.