Arc System Works are best known for being a specialist in the fighting game arena, creating the likes of the Guilty Gear series and that of BlazBlue. Now though they are going all-out with a new game that promises to deliver a character crossover like never before, with Code Shifter readying itself to launch on Xbox One, PS4, Switch and PC in Q1 2020.
Whilst the exact release date is still up in the air, if you’ve been looking for something that will deliver the best of multiple worlds, then Code Shifter may well be it. And with Arc System Works having gathered international critical acclaim for their innovative fighting systems and spectacular 2D and 3D artwork, it’s looking highly interesting indeed.
An action platformer, in Code Shifter, you play the role of Stella, a game developer at the “Awesome Rainbow Corp” who is tasked with squashing the remaining bugs on the eve of the company’s biggest game release. As she scrambles to fix the game, mysterious errors in the program suddenly appear and time is running out to finish the game in time! To deal with the situation Stella decides to whip up a debug program: “Code Shifter”, that allows her digital avatar “Sera” to eradicate the issues from within.
Along the way you – and she – will encounter powerful bugs and anomalies. Thankfully help will be on hand from some unexpected allies each with their own special powers. The question is, will Stella and her coworkers be able to find the origin of these bugs and deliver the game before the launch date?
Key Features Include:
- Iconic Arc System Works characters remixed in 8-bit pixel art, including Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, the River City series and more!
- Utilize a whopping 100 characters to successfully overcome deadly obstacles and enemies to ship the game in time!
- The soundtrack features 8-bit renditions of popular character themes like “Give Me a Break” (Sol Badguy’s Theme), Bullet Dance (Noel Vermillion’s Theme) and more!
- By defeating the bosses of each stage Sera is rewarded with new costumes that gives her different powers when equipped.
- The “COLORFUL FIGHTERS” game mode is a brawler mini-game that allows up to 4 players to duke it out in a free-for-all!
- Fight against other CPU controlled characters in the Ex Stages of the main story to unlock more playable characters!
If you’re looking for something to sink your teeth into, or are in the market for a new action platformer you can play with a mate, Code Shifter looks a promising bet. We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as that fully confirmed release date is known, but with Q1 2020 up and running, a launch on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam) fairly soon looks like being a thing.
Edit: Code Shifter has now gone up for pre-order on the Xbox Store, with a date of 30th January 2020 attached.
Let us know your thoughts by dropping into the comments.