About 12 months ago Ubisoft delivered STEEP on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. It promised a wonderful snow filled open-world affair in which our skiing, snowboarding, paragliding, and wingsuiting skills were put to the test. Now though Ubisoft are back and STEEP is being treated to a bit of an expansion – one that cleverly integrates the Olympic Winter Games into proceedings.
An officially licensed product of the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018, the Steep Road to the Olympics expansion will deliver an in-game story mode that comes complete with a variety of professional athletes.
Arriving on Xbox One (with enhanced featured for Xbox One X), PS4 and PC come December 5th 2017, the expansion will let us follow the journey of a young athlete training in three freestyle events (Big Air, Half Pipe and Slopestyle) as they attempt to reach the Olympic Winter Games, and be the first athlete ever to win gold in 3 freestyle disciplines. The competition takes place in the unique South Korean mountains, where the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 are being held, in February 2018. Players will also be able to explore the mountains of Japan, carving through unique powder and exceptional environments.
Before you get the chance to tackle each challenge, we will be treated to training tips and insights from true Olympians, with video testimonials from the following ten legends and rising stars:
- Lindsey Vonn, American Alpine Skiier, who has won numerous competitions, including a gold medal in the downhill event at the Olympic Winter Games 2010
- Kevin Rolland, French freestyle skier and progressive risk taker, who won an Olympic bronze medal in the halfpipe at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014
- Sage Kotsenburg, American snowboarder, who won the first-ever Olympic gold medal in men’s snowboard slopestyle at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014
- Ayumu Hirano, Japanese competitive snowboarder, who won an Olympic silver medal in the halfpipe 2014 Olympics
- Alexis Pinturault, a French alpine ski racer and Olympic medalist in 2014 for Giant Slalom
- Tessa Worley, a French competitor of all five alpine disciplines and specialist of Giant Slalom
- The Australian snowboarder Scotty James, a 2x world Halfpipe champion and 2017 Superpipe champion
- Gus Kenworthy, a American freestyle skier, who won the silver medal in Ski Slopestyle at the Olympic Winter Games Sochi 2014
- Young American snowboarder and 2017 Slopestyle snowboarding champion, Julia Marino
- Bode Miller, an Olympic gold medalist and the most decorated male American alpine ski racer of all time
The expansion will feature fresh Alpine Skiing, Snowboard and Freestyle Skiing events, including Giant Slalom, Slalom, Super-G, Downhill, Parallel Giant Slalom, Halfpipe, Snowboard Cross, Slopestyle, Ski Halfpipe, Ski Cross and Ski Slopestyle.
If you’re looking to get back into the whole Steep experience, or just wish to start building a bit of hype prior to the Winter Olympics arriving, then the Road to the Olympics expansion for Steep looks to be a great way of doing it. We’ll be sure to bring you more as and when we have it.
For now though, feel free to hit up our review of Steep on Xbox One.