Currently running the crowdfunding route over on Kickstarter, the pixel art retro affair that is Battle Axe already looked set to become a certainty. Today though comes news that Numskull Games have picked up the publishing rights, with a view to pushing the game out to Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC.
At time of writing Battle Axe is live on Kickstarter with around a week to go, smashing through its initial £40,000 goal mainly due to the gorgeous art style and promise of high-octane top-down action. But once that Kickstarter is over, it’ll be up to Numskull Games to deliver the goods, with them now confirming the game will arrive on Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PC, Mac, and Linux.
Bringing the game to a wider audience, particularly those who love the retro scene or a bit of hack ‘n slash action, Battle Axe has been created by a small team of industry vets, including those behind the likes of the brilliant Xeno Crisis, Shovel Knight and Contra 4. Inspired by the classics such as Gauntlet and Golden Axe, and with promise of both solo and local co-op play included, it certainly looks to be an enticing little prospect.
“Numskull Games brought a real passion to the table when they saw our plans for Battle Axe, with the team there personally invested in this sort of classic-style game”, commented lead designer Henk Nieborg. “We recognised they were the right publishing partner to put Battle Axe in people’s hands and we’re especially excited with the opportunity to see our games at retail.”
- Veteran team: developed by a highly experienced small team, including designer Henk Nieborg (Lionheart, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge, Contra 4, Xeno Crisis), composer Manami Matsumae (Mega Man, Final Fight, Shovel Knight), and programmer Mike Tucker (Super House of Dead Ninjas, Xeno Crisis)
- Pixel art fun – an adventure for pixel art enthusiasts, with gorgeously designed characters and environments to enjoy with every frame
- Hack n’ slash adventure – classic gameplay will feel familiar yet revitalised,thanks to new gameplay elements, improved controls, detailed pixel art & animations, and a superb soundtrack by legendary composer Manamii Matsumae
- Inspired by the classics – inspired by genre classics like Gauntlet and Golden Axe
- Solo or co-op – choose from three highly-detailed heroes to embark with on your quest, playing alone or with a friend in local co-op
Sold on Battle Axe? Fancy dropping some more cash into the Kickstarter pot? Let us know your thoughts down below.