The lines are ever fading and the opportunity for players to join others from lands afar is getting closer by the day. Yep, we may primarily be an Xbox focused site, but in our eyes the sooner the stupid format wars things ends, the better. And with the arrival of Spellbreak on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC, the joy of cross-play and cross-progression systems is coming to the fore once more. And we salute the team at Proletariat for doing so.
Available right now as a free-to-play title that is available to grab from the usual stores for Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC via the Epic Games Store, Spellbreak is a Battle Royale experience with a twist – MAGIC!
Utilising the power of Game Preview, this work in progress will see you given the chance to unleash your inner mage, building out characters, utilising abilities and gaining the tactical advantage over your foes. With an ever changing, ever evolving battleground in place, and the promise of many exciting game modes dropping as things progress, even here and now in the early stages of Spellbreak’s life, excitement should be met.
Spellbreak is a multiplayer action-spellcasting game where players get to unleash their inner battlemage and wield two powerful magic gauntlets that blend devastating spell combinations to control the battlefield with fiery tornadoes, electrified gas clouds, and more! All set in the Hollow Lands, players can explore the map to find tactical advantages and discover hidden chests that contain magical runes that give new abilities, including flight, teleport, and invisibility.
And whilst the F2P aspect is one that will let anyone join, the draw of a lovely Starter Pack will give a little boost to any wannabe mage. This will set you back a mere £4.19 – which, if you take into account the asking prices of starter packs for other games is super cheap – and will provide you with no less than 600 Gold and a rather delightful Bewitching Glimmer Outfit.
Further to that are additional Gold packs too, ranging from £8.39 for 1000 Gold, right up to 10000 (+3500 as a bonus) for £83.49. If you find yourself loving what Spellbreak brings ,and just have to have the latest gear to hand, then these are certainly worth considering.
If you thought that all sounded good, then the addition of full cross-progression over Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and PC makes it ever more appealing, whilst if you decide to also create a Spellbreak account, you’ll be able to access it on any supported platform to maintain your game progression, customizations, and stats. And further still, you’ll be able to use that account to easily find friends and create cross-platform squads.
- BUILD YOUR BATTLEMAGE Choose a class: Frostborn, Conduit, Pyromancer, Toxicologist, Stoneshaper, or Tempest. Each has its own playstyle, which you can customize with talents as you grow in power. Which will you master?
- COMBINE THE ELEMENTS A mighty battlemage isn’t limited to just one ability. Seize hold of two powerful magic gauntlets and blend devastating spell combinations to control the battlefield with fiery tornadoes, electrified gas clouds, and more!
- OUTPLAY YOUR RIVALS Explore the map and find tactical advantages to outplay your opponents. Discover hidden chests that contain magical runes and game-changing equipment. These items give you the ability to fly, teleport, control time, become invisible, and more.
- ENTER AN EVER-EVOLVING WORLD The fractured battleground of the Hollow Lands is just the beginning of your adventure in the greater world of Primdal. New chapter updates will reveal more of the deep, rich lore behind this powerful place and its people.
- BATTLE ACROSS THE HOLLOW LANDS Form a party of powerful battlemages and vanquish other players to stand victorious in this unique battle royale! Future updates will unlock exciting new game modes.
So, if you’re looking for a new free-to-play affair and reckon some magic based Battle Royale is going to be the way you are heading, go and grab a copy of Spellbreak right now. And if you’re not keen on the Game Preview angle, and would prefer for a full release, that’s cool too. We’ll let you know once it arrives properly.
In the meantime, keep an eye out for some early thoughts surrounding how Spellbreak plays on Xbox One. We won’t fully review until full release, but we’ll be sure to let you know how our early efforts with this latest Battle Royale pan out.
This game is a work in progress. It may or may not change over time or release as a final product. Purchase only if you are comfortable with the current state of the unfinished game. Unleash your inner battlemage in Spellbreak. When magic is forbidden, locked in the iron grip of the Vowkeepers, it’s up to you to resist and reclaim what’s yours. Harness the raw power of your gauntlets and tap into the unimaginable forces of the elemental planes . Soar into fierce battles, through floating islands and impossible terrain, to unleash the Breaker within.