The PC and PlayStation gamers have had their fun: it’s now time for the epic co-op adventures of Tribes of Midgard to make themselves available to the rest of us!
Releasing today on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch, with the game present on PC and PlayStation for a while already, Tribes of Midgard is a co-op survival game that puts you deep into the heart of Norse mythology. This one is a rogue-like, however, so expect you and your squad to be dumped back into Midgard with the start of every session, equipped only with some unlocks that persist between lives, new knowledge of the foes you face, and a renewed determination to get that one bit further!
The gameplay loop on offer with Tribes of Midgard sees you (either as a solo player or in a squad of up to 10 (!)) venture from your village into the wilderness: the further you wander away from the village, the tougher the enemies that you will be tasked with taking down. Following a healthy session of slaying, hopefully resulting in new rewards, you must head back to base and prepare to defend against a nightly assault with all new weapons and defences.
With the release onto more platforms today, Tribes of Midgard is coming with a free content update in the form of Season 3: Inferno Saga. This comes with a range of new features for survival veterans to tackle, most notably a revamped Survival Mode and the fiery Inferno Saga Quest.
A full list of new features coming to the game includes:
- Saga Quest: Inferno – The journey to the heart of the Volcanic Spire is a perilous one. As the temperatures rise, so do the stakes. Raid invading Outposts across Midgard to acquire Muspelite and use them to activate a Gateway to the new Biome. Be prepared to fight through hordes of fiery foes as you ascend to face the largest-ever Saga Boss. From his Lair at the peak of the Volcanic Spire, this fearsome opponent launches a full-scale invasion of Midgard. It is up to the Einherjar to stomp out the flames of his conquest and put a stop to Ragnarök.
- Volcanic Spire – This molten landmass serves as the fiery battlegrounds between the Einherjar and the Inferno invasion. Equip the right gear to handle this new climate or be burned, as it is home to many unique and dangerous creatures, crafting materials, hazards and more. Even the rivers are made of lava, so you probably shouldn’t go for a swim.
- “Survival 2.0” – This central game mode takes a new form in Season 3 to provide a more relaxed but engaging experience that rewards exploration and creation. Taking place long before the Village around the Seed of Yggdrasil came to be, the Einherjar must rough it in a totally raw environment. The powerful Viking warrior Eira Foot-Crushed serves as your guide, alongside everyone’s favorite felines Mániklo and Sóleyra from the Saga tutorial. Free from the constant threat of incoming Jötnar attacks, in the new Survival Mode, Einherjar can write legendary Viking tales of their own, building their perfect Viking homes, and taking the battle directly to enemies as they see fit.
- Crafting 2.0 (Survival Mode) – Without a Village or Vendors, Einherjar in Survival 2.0 need to be self-sufficient to craft items. Utilize the magical Dwarven invention of the Allforge, accessible from the Build menu and free to place anywhere, no materials required. While the Allforge is valuable for repairing Equipment, its true purpose is to instantly build Crafting Stations, which allow Einherjar to craft and forge a variety of items depending on the Station type.
- Spears – This new weapon type empowers Einherjar to strike opponents with greater reach and in a more linear direction than other weapons. The initial Villager Spear only requires Wood to craft, giving any poor soul a fighting chance while they ramp up their survival skills.
- Fishing – We let you swim and fight what came out of the water last season, but what if you want to catch things? Craft a Fishing Rod and keep an eye out for Mysterious Ripples in rivers and oceans. By casting a Fishing Rod on a Ripple, Einherjar can test the quickness of their button skills, timing it just right to catch different types of fish.
Tribes of Midgard Standard Edition is now available on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One for £14.99, whereas it is an extra tenner for two in-game pets and some more cosmetic items with the Deluxe Edition at £24.99. Alternatively, the game is available on Switch, PlayStation, and PC.
Want to know how it plays? Our full review of Tribes of Midgard on Xbox Series X|S is up and live, ready for your perusal.
Tribes of Midgard is a co-op game with a unique blend of action, survival, and roguelite elements. Players must defend their village from hordes of invaders—deadly spirits and gigantic brutes—that every night threaten to destroy the Seed of Yggdrasil, the sacred tree you’re sworn to protect. Only by protecting the Seed, you and your tribe can stop Ragnarök—the end of the world!