It’s a busy old time for 505 Games. They’ve just released Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising to the world, setting in place foundations for the main event, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, in 2023. But they’ve got many fingers in many pies and today they have also announced they will be behind release of Among the Trolls, Stray Blade and more.
Detailed in their 505 Games Showcase – and we thank 505 for inviting us to their presentation ahead of time – are Among the Trolls, Stray Blade, the two Eiyuden Chronicle games and a tease of Maisma Chronicles.
For us in console land, it’s the announcement of Stray Blade which is the most exciting. You see, we’ve already reviewed Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising and know all about the follow-on, Hundred Heroes, thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign. Whilst Maisma Chronicles looks interesting, a tease is just that, and we’d look forward to hearing more in the coming months.
So, Stray Blade! Created by Point Blank Games and looking to release on Xbox Series X|S, PS5 and PC (Steam and Epic) in 2023, this action RPG looks to be the absolutely business. It has you thrown into the world of Acrea the Lost Valley, all as you are brought back to life, left to traverse this overgrown, powerful place.
You’ll go on the hunt for a mysterious civilization, as you look to regain your freedom and restore some kind of balance to the war torn world around you. You’ll have a guide – Boji – but what you make of this land will, ultimately, be up to you. Secrets and deadly foes await as you look to progress through this unforgettable adventure.
Out of all the games in the 505 Games Showcase, this is the one that really piqued our interest – initially as it is coming to Series X|S, but then as the world began to immerse us.
When it does release in 2023, the key features that Point Blank Games and 505 are promising sit as follows…
- THE UNTOLD STORY: Embark on an unforgettable journey and discover the story of Acrea and its ancient legacy. Discover the whole history that turned the peaceful valley into a place of war and death. Use this knowledge to destroy the relics of the past and restore peace in the war-torn valley.
- FULL COMBAT CONTROL: The hyper-responsive combat system allows quick reactions and precise attacks to fully control the flow of battle. It merges strategic anticipation of enemy attacks with split-second blade-toblade reactions — the High Noon of melee weapon combat.
- CHANGING WORLD: Change is part of your journey where every victory leaves a mark in the world. Time keeps moving forward even if you die. Revisit the places of former victory and experience the changes you brought to the world. But beware! Your actions will lead to even greater challenges.
- EXPLORE THE LOST VALLEY: Acrea’s colorful world ranges from overgrown city ruins to frozen caves and winding canyons. Together with your companion, explore the deepest corners of an ever-changing world bristling with adventure. Every discovery holds treasures. Find rare materials, recipes, weapons, lore pieces, and beautiful places.
- PROGRESSION: The Adventurer is a fighter who gains experience through battle, whereas Boji is a craftsman who increases his experience by finding pieces of ancient lore.
And then there is Among the Trolls – a game which 505 open the showcase with. PC only (at least for now) and initially making the most of Early Access on Steam, Among the Trolls has been put together by the Finnish Forbidden Studios team, pencilled in to launch later in 2022. It’s a first-person survival action adventure (yep, we know, another one of those), but this one deals in the mysteries that are found in the Finnish forests – where the trolls live.
When it hits Steam Early Access, you’ll get the chance to play as Alex or Anna as they rock up in an old isolated cabin, deep in the worlds. It’s your grandparents’ place, but they have gone missing (them damn trolls, eh!) and so it falls to you to find them.
Among the Trolls has some seriously deep mystery going on, and it’s that which will push you along in your quest for survival. We’re just hoping that after a bit of a period in Steam and Early Access, Forbidden Studios find it within themselves to deliver this one to console – it most definitely looks as though it could more than hold its own in the console scene.
You’ll find the full 505 Games Showcase available at the Youtube link below. Give it a watch and then come back here and let us know which is your most hyped game. Surely it’s Stray Blade, no? Or maybe it’s Among the Trolls…?