It promises to be a rather enchanting affair, one that will have you swapping between protagonists with ease, as you take in some seriously stunning dimensions and work the magical powers of a little teddy bear. Tandem: A Tale of Shadows is the game and it’s coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC later in 2021.
From the development team at Monochrome, and pushed along by the publishing group of Hatinh Interactive, Tandem: A Tale of Shadows looks set to deliver much. Due to arrive on console and PC at some point in 2021, it throws us into the world of Emma and her teddy, Fenton.
Offering up a unique dual gameplay experience with outstanding aesthetics and visuals, it tells the tale of how Thomas, the only son of a famous magician couple, has disappeared. It is up to Emma, a stubborn young fan of their shows, to head on out to find him, investigating the world around her in the hope she can uncover the mysteries within.
Emma is joined by her one true friend, her cuddly teddy Fenton and by utilising the magical powers of the bear the duo set out to find Thomas, teaming up to face any obstacles they encounter.
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows should cover the bases that puzzle platformer fans look for, with dozens of puzzles set across five beautiful Victorian-inspired worlds. Players will alternate between Emma’s top-down view and Fenton’s horizontal side-scroller view, at times using the former’s lantern to cast shadows the teddy bear can cross. Expect to see clever and innovative gameplay mechanics introduced as the duo travels from one universe to the next.
It won’t be all plain sailing though and as Emma and Fenton master intelligent obstacles, confront menacing mechanical toys, and uncover clues about Thomas’ disappearance, they will begin to learn more about the relationship between the girl and the teddy, as well as more about Thomas’ disappearance.
“With Tandem, our ambition is to evolve the puzzle platformer genre through immersive storytelling, jaw-dropping production values, and thought-provoking gameplay,” says JB Grasset, CEO and co-founder at Monochrome Paris. “We can’t wait to captivate players later this year with the imaginative, mysterious universe we’ve carefully created.”
“ Not only we are continuously impressed by Tandem’s game art and aesthetics but we also strongly believe in the uniqueness of its dual gameplay” says Philippe DAO, CEO and co-founder of Hatinh Interactive who will publish the game later this year.
Tandem: A Tale of Shadows Key Features Include:
- Stunning Art Direction – Discover a playful and frightening universe inspired by Jules Vernes, Conan Doyle, Tim Burton and Victorian era architecture. Each dimension in Tandem feels like a German expressionist or Dutch golden age art piece brought to life.
- Clever Puzzles – Solve 45 puzzles and obstacles in order to unravel the mystery surrounding Thomas Kane’s disappearance. Overcome vicious spiders and creepy clowns, etc
- Dual Gameplay – Swap perspectives between Emma and Fenton. Light up the scene and cast shadows as Emma from a top-down view. Walk on shadows projected by Emma’s lantern from Fenton’s side-scroller view.
- Fight With Strategy – Players will face mechanical toy-like enemies and bosses throughout each dimension. Since Emma cannot attack, fans must rely on their wit to move forward.
- Narrative-Driven Adventure – Gather clues hidden in the game’s worlds to learn more about Emma, Fenton the teddy bear and Thomas’ disappearance.
- Diverse Mechanics – Push or pull objects to create shadows. Use alarms and traps to your advantage. Tandem features a variety of interactive elements to keep players on their toes.
We’ll be seeing Tandem: A Tale of Shadows launching on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC through Steam in 2021 – expect us to keep you fully up-to-date with how things progress in the weeks and months ahead.