We’ve seen our fair share of Kart clones, pulling on some of the barmiest of franchises (Hello Kitty? Garfield?), but Nickelodeon Kart Racers was one of the more acceptable ones, and it actually had enough recognisable characters to warrant the roster. Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix drifts onto Xbox One, Switch and PS4 today. A PC launch is due later this year.
Bamtang Games clearly believe that Nickelodeon has a deep enough reservoir of characters to make a second game, as they have made the call to include 30 in total, one of the heftiest role calls that we’ve seen. You know what? They’re right – with Spongebob, Turtles, Rugrats, Avatar and more, they’ve got a deep cast and some of animation’s greatest characters.
I’ll show my age by wishing – just slightly – that Pete and Pete, Eerie Indiana, Clarissa Explains it All and Aaaargh! Real Monsters made it, but there’s Ren & Stimpy and Rocko, so I should probably take my ‘90s whining elsewhere.
Expect a verdict from us soon with a review of Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix on Xbox One, but we’re most impressed with the generosity of the whole package. 28 courses, 70 characters to choose for your pit crew and local multiplayer for up to four players feels like almost-Mario-Kart-levels or content. A lot of love has gone into this one.
- Largest collection of Nickelodeon characters ever in a Kart game!
- 100 beloved Nick characters to choose from
- 30 playable racers and 70 crew members that each have unique powers designed to help you win
- Strategize your ultimate pit crew to increase your level of attack, defense, or fun!
- Tens of thousands different all-star character combinations
- Local multiplayer up to 4, and online multiplayer up to 8
- New and improved racing engine for best in class racing fun!
Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix is out now on Xbox One for £34.99. It’s that or Switch or PS4.
Want a rundown of the racers? Here, have an ogle:
- JoJo Siwa
- SpongeBob SquarePants (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Patrick Star (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Squidward Tentacles (SpongeBob SquarePants)
- Tommy Pickles (Rugrats)
- Chuckie Finster (Rugrats)
- Angelica Pickles (Rugrats)
- Reptar (Rugrats)
- Rocko (Rocko’s Modern Life)
- Heffer Wolfe (Rocko’s Modern Life)
- CatDog (CatDog)
- Ren Höek (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
- Stimpy Cat (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
- Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
- Zim (Invader Zim)
- GIR (Invader Zim)
- Aang (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
- Korra (The Legend of Korra)
- Arnold Shortman (Hey Arnold!)
- Helga Pataki (Hey Arnold!)
- Gerald Johanssen (Hey Arnold!)
- Lincoln Loud (The Loud House)
- Lucy Loud (The Loud House)
- Clyde McBride (The Loud House)
- Leonardo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Donatello (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Raphael (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Michelangelo (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
- Shredder (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
Nickelodeon Kart Racers is back and we’re kicking it into overdrive! In Nickelodeon Kart Racers 2: Grand Prix, you can select from 30 playable racers and 70 team members to assemble your ultimate pit crew. Choose your favorites from Nickelodeon’s hall of fame, including JoJo Siwa, SpongeBob SquarePants, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the babies from Rugrats, the cool kids from Hey Arnold!, Ren and Stimpy, Lincoln Loud and his sisters, and more! More Characters + More Karts + More Tracks = MORE FUN! First, speed your way across a variety of Slime-filled tracks in a fun series of races where you can win highly-coveted cups and over 80 upgrades for your Kart! Then, shift into the next gear and challenge your friends in online multiplayer or in local arena multiplayer to see who can cross the finish line first or handle the wild arena challenges! There’s no slowing down – on your marks, get set, Slime!