Taking what made the original so loved, Spelunky 2 finally finds a place in the world of Xbox – and to ensure that Xbox One and Series X|S players won’t have an excuse to miss it, it debuts on the system via Game Pass.
Spelunky 2 follows on with the randomised roguelike madness that made the original Spelunky so a loved classic to come to Xbox with an all-new take.
After wowing the PlayStation, PC and Switch crowds previously, it’s now the turn of Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S players to take control of Ana and head off on some serious journeys of exploration.
Priced at £16.74 or available as a free download through the power of Game Pass, Spelunky 2, the Mossmouth team behind its creation are keen to point out that this one comes with an altogether bigger world, one that is more dynamic, one that allows you to build a real community and one that lets you take it all in either alone, with some local sofa based mates, or with those from around the world.
However you play Spelunky 2, experimentation or the endlessly replayable world is key to what you get out of it. Multiple routes, strategies and tactics can come into play, as can a whole range of different elements and mechanics. Basically, the more you play Spelunky 2, the more you will become at one with it.
In fact, the key features list is almost as deep as that game itself, running as follows…
- A Bigger World with all new areas, monsters, traps, and items!
- An Extra Dimension is added by allowing players to access a second layer behind the normal playfield. The second layer might contain treasure rooms, hidden passages, and other special places.
- Multiple Routes Through the Game will add variety and give players more ways to personalize a run.
- Find and Ride Mounts (like turkeys!) that have special abilities. Enemies may ride mounts, as well!
- New NPCs that you can help, hurt, or ignore… to make each run feel even more like a unique story.
- Variations and Changes to Classic Spelunky Concepts like shops and ghosts that will make veteran players rethink their strategies.
- Improved Liquid Physics allow water and lava to move and pour realistically, which drastically affects the playfield (and looks cool)
- Deadly Poison and Curses can be inflicted on players and enemies alike.
- Build a Permanent Home at Base Camp as you do runs and explore the caves.
- Improved Lighting and Special Effects are paired with richer visual and audio design.
- Deeper Mysteries that may require a community effort to unravel.
- Possibly More Eggplants
Keep an eye out for our full review in the days ahead. For now though, you’ll do well to grab that download from the Xbox Store – no matter whether you pay for it, or utilise Game Pass, this is one you won’t want to miss. It’s fully optimised for the next-gen and comes with Smart Delivery too.
The original announcement trailer is below…
Spelunky returns in this greatly-expanded sequel to the original roguelike platformer! Meet the next generation of explorers as they find themselves on the Moon, searching for treasure and missing family. Spelunky 2 builds upon the unique, randomized challenges that made the original a classic, offering a huge adventure designed to satisfy players old and new. Explore the game alone, play locally with up to four players, or, for the first time, join up with friends online to unravel its mysteries together (or battle it out in competitive Arena modes). Spelunky 2’s world is even denser than the one in the original game, offering more areas, characters, traps, and items, as well as new ways to interact with them (and for them to interact with each other). The world has expanded in other ways, too, with branching paths and multi-layered levels adding a third dimension to the classic 2d platforming gameplay.