Stick ‘Souls’ in your title and you’ll find two groups of players: one who will drop the asking price without a care in the world, and another who will run a mile, never looking back. Depending on your point of view and gaming skills, Eldest Souls is going to be one of those games – a marmite affair that you’ll either love, or absolutely despise.
Whichever camp you fall into, you have to admit that Eldest Souls from Fallen Flag Studios looks to have something about it. Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC, this is a soulslike boss-rush game (don’t run away just yet) that has come about thanks to the publishing arm of United Label. And you know what soulslike and boss-rush means? Yep, brutal combat. Nothing more, nothing less.
It’s priced at £16.99 and comes to market with tons of killer language attached – ferociously challenging, fast-paced, savage combat and more. But for all the love in the world, it’s other parts of Eldest Souls that we are most interested in – the extensive skill trees for instance, and the cast of NPCs and questlines. We’re even pretty sold by the pixel perfect artstyle too.
In fact, we were pretty impressed when we had the chance to see Eldest Souls in action a few weeks back and would highly advise you to check out our thoughts from that presser. Of course, for fully considered opinion, it’ll be our full review of Eldest Souls on Xbox that should be taken in – keep an eye out for it soon.
Key game features include:
- Challenging Combat: Fast-paced and challenging souls-like combat awaits, where every moment counts. Yet fortune favors the bold, and defeating the Old Gods may grant the player powers beyond mortal comprehension.
- Boss-Rush Brutality: Eldest Souls focuses on only the toughest and most engaging of combat encounters – the Bosses! – with each Old God presenting a new and unique challenge for the player to overcome… with fitting rewards for those who triumph!
- An Ancient Kingdom: As you explore the labyrinthine passages, in search of the Old Gods, you’ll encounter intriguing NPCs, compelling questlines, and a series of dark and ominous mysteries. Slowly uncover the truth behind the Old Gods and their agelong imprisonment…
- Pixel Perfection: Bask in the pixel perfection of the consecrated Citadel, dripping in gorgeous 16-bit attention-to-detail. But don’t gaze too long. This monument of Human triumph has long been forgotten, and something dark has taken root deep within.
- Your Build. Your Rules: Every encounter with the Old Gods presents its own unique challenge… and rewards. Claim their celestial powers to unlock a vast array of unique Talents and Abilities, ready to customize your own combat style from a multitude of combinations.
If you’re sold though and fancy a hunt through a consecrated Citadel in search of the Old Gods, and reckon you’re up for the challenge that Eldest Souls presents, get yourself over to the digital store of your choosing, pay up that asking price, and take home your download.
Unless of course you stopped reading when we mentioned that dreaded ‘Souls’ word in our opening gambit.
You’ll find Eldest Souls on the Xbox Store for Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S (Optimised no less), on the PlayStation Store for PS4 and PS5, the Nintendo eShop for Switch players and over on PC too. In fact, there’s pretty much no way of escaping what this has to hold…
Following centuries of servitude, Man finally rebelled against the Old Gods, imprisoning these colossal calamities within the sacred walls of the Citadel. But an evil stirred within… In a final act of vengeance, the Old Gods have unleashed a great Desolation upon the world. Mankind is fading, with but a glimmer of hope remaining. Heavy is the burden that lies on one lone Warrior. Armed with a greatsword… of the purest Obsydian.