You wait an age for one new Tetris title to appear, and then in the space of a few new next-generation launch days, two show up. And both Tetris Effect: Connected and SEGA’s crossover Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 have managed to deliver gaming experiences that are well worth taking in too. It is however the latter which is being pushed today with the first in a series of free post-launch updates seeing Sonic the Hedgehog and an all-new Boss Raid Mode hit Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.
Rolling out today on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch, the first update for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 is one of beauty, if only because it builds on the character roster with one of the most iconic of all video game characters.
Yep that’s right, that blue speed machine Sonic the Hedgehog is in play, leading the way as the most exciting of new playable options. It is Sonic who will help you out on your Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 journey, alongside the additions of Lidelle, Ms. Accord and The Ocean Prince, each of whom come with their own skills you can utilise in Skill Battle mode.
Further to that though and the game also adds in a new online Boss Raid, letting you and your mates work together with one common goal – taking down the Boss in front of you. That’s not all though and this update also delivers four new background music tracks alongside 20 new Avatars, letting you customise your player profile to new levels.
It is certainly the new characters which are the headline act here though, with full details of each as follows:
- First up is a special guest from SEGA’s flagship series who needs no introduction, Sonic the Hedgehog! The speedy blue hedgehog lives life by his own rules. He hates dishonesty and injustice, and he’s not afraid to fight for what’s right.
- Ms. Accord is a teacher of the Primp Magic School. Though gentle and kind, she’s known to prepare rather peculiar lesson plans. While she only played a minor role in the original Puyo Puyo Tetris, this update marks the first time Ms. Accord will appear as a playable character in a localised release since Puyo Pop Fever.
- Next up is Lidelle, a student of Primp Magic School. Known to be mild-mannered and soft-spoken, she is also very shy and hides her horns by wrapping them with her hair. While sharing no blood relation, she considers Dark Prince and Draco her big brother and sister.
- Finally, The Ocean Prince is, what else, the prince of the sea, a royal who can be pretty selfish without realizing it. He sometimes takes a human form when he uses a particular spell. Like Ms. Accord and Lidelle, this will mark his first playable appearance since Puyo Pop Fever after making a cameo in Puyo Puyo Tetris.
If however you’re more interested in teaming up with three of your mates in order to take down some CPU-controlled bosses, then it’s the Boss Raid which is more likely to be your bag. It comes with plenty of great ideas too and even though you’ll have to ensure all players are running the same version of Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, the following will sort you out:
- Play according to your own skill level by adjusting the difficulty level: as you increase the difficulty, you’ll add on the number of bosses you’ll have to fight in a row; higher difficulties will have different level requirements, so make sure your team has the strength to survive this challenging gauntlet
- Chance Time can occur when players face random conditions during raids (e.g., inflict X damage at once, survive for X seconds), which upon being fulfilled, inflicts major damage on the boss
- Bosses have unique skills to keep players on their toes, like Paralyze which stops the player from being able to rotate their pieces for a short time, adding an exciting twist to each battle
- Item Cards and experience points can be earned from Boss Raids, with better rewards for higher difficulties. Players can use these Item Cards to equip their team of three in the Skill Battle Mode
With more updates planned for Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and Nintendo Switch, the future is looking hot for the game. Let us know what you like most about it though and if you haven’t yet picked it up, head on over to the Xbox Store and do so – you’ll find some serious Xbox Series X|S optimisation in place too. The comments section is below this trailer…