Here and now, in the 21st Century, our lives have never been easier. But back at the dawn of man when the very first humans were forging their way in life, things were tough. Today though we get the opportunity to see just how tough, with Dawn of Man launching on Xbox One.
Priced up at £20.99 and available to grab from the Xbox Store for Xbox One right now, Dawn of Man is a survival/city builder from Madruga Works, the same team as those behind Planetbase. But while that game focused all efforts on space exploration, Dawn of Man goes way back to the earliest moments in the life of man.
Dawn of Man on Xbox One will see you taking charge of a group of the very first humans, as you take them through the Stone Age and through the years until you rock up in the Iron Age, understanding the troubles that they would have had to go through at the time.
This will mean you will need to spend time hunting, gathering and planning for the future, utilising the land around you at specific times of the year. You’ll also need to create a fortify your base, take time to research specific technological advancements, and do what you can to control nature – farming for instance will be front and centre.
Key features of Dawn of Man include:
- Hunt – Animals were a vital source of food and resources for ancient humans. Use their meat to feed your people and their skin and bones to make clothing and craft the tools you will need to stay alive. Confront Mammoths, Woolly Rhinos, Ancient Bison, Megaloceros, Cave Lions and other species that roamed the Earth at the time.
- Gather – Collect a variety resources from the environment: fruit, berries, water, wood, flint, stone, ores. Use them to prepare food, to make tools and to build structures in your settlement.
- Plan for harsh times – Fish is more abundant in spring, berries and fruit can be collected in summer and animals are easier to come by when it’s warm. When winter comes, make sure to have enough non-perishable food and warm clothing in order to survive.
- Expand and fortify your settlement – Build more homes and facilities for your people, in order to expand your population. Construct fortifications and craft weapons, so you are ready for when the inevitable conflict comes.
- Research Technologies – Each new discovery will make it easier for your settlement to be able to support larger populations, but will also bring new challenges: increased food demand, morale issues and more frequent raider attacks.
- Build Megalithic Structures – Our ancestors were capable of incredible engineering feats: mine massive rocks from the environment, transport them using sledges and construct colossal stone structures.
- Control Nature – Unlock farming technologies to grow your own vegetables, so you can feed large amounts of people. Domesticate animals to produce food, resources and provide increased muscle power.
Reckon you’d be able to survive back in the Stone Age? Heading to the Xbox Store in order to pick up your download of Dawn of Man on Xbox One should be your next step – and once you’ve got playing through this latest city builder, make sure you come back here and let us know what you think of it all. We’ll no doubt have a review up and live soon but in the meantime we’d love to hear from you. The comments section is down below. With a slew of very positive reviews coming about from first launch of Dawn of Man on Steam, hopes are very high indeed.
Take control of a settlement of the first modern humans, guide them through the ages in their struggle for survival. Dawn of Man is a survival/city-builder from the creators of Planetbase. The game starts in the Stone Age, and takes you up to the Iron Age, spanning more than 10,000 years of human prehistory. You will have to get your people to survive, expand and evolve, just like our ancestors, facing the challenges that the environment will throw at you.