Over the last few years the WWE series of games from 2K has been on a steady decline; so much so that WWE 2K20 was a disaster, leading to a 2K21 version being put on hold. But now 2K are back and with Visual Concepts alongside them, WWE 2K22 could well be the best WWE title of recent times.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and PC, WWE 2K22 promises to hit different, delivering gameplay to players via the Deluxe Edition and nWo 4-Life Digital Edition some three days ahead of the official street date. Should you involve yourself in either of those editions, you’ll gain access today, but if you would prefer to save a bit of cash and can wait until the March 11th 2022 official release, the Standard Edition should well sort you out.
So what do we have with WWE 2K22? Well, it sees 2K and Visual Concepts take a bit of time to step back, assess the situation and then throw everything they have at it, ensuring this is a wrestling title that will appeal to many.
What that means is you’re going to get to experience a new gameplay engine, some new controls but all the features you could ever want. With full redesigns across the board and the chance to take charge of numerous WWE Superstars and Legends, 2K22 may well be the wrestling title you want in your life.
Expect to be pulling off dives, kicks, finishers and more, with some of the most detailed wrestlers ever. With Re Mysterio front and centre – with pivotal moments from their career playing out in the 2K showcase – the chance to become a WWE General Manager, to involve yourself in a couple of MyRISE adventures and to assemble the finest team ever in the MyFACTION mode, there is much promise going forward.
The creation suite is in place too, giving gamers the chance to create their own character before throwing them into the ring and proving what is what.
The key features in all include:
- THE GAME THAT MAY HIT TOO REAL – Hitting this hard has never been so easy. Everything from the controls to the stunning graphics has been redesigned, and feels as real as being ringside at WrestleMania.
- CONTROL WWE SUPERSTARS AND CLASSIC LEGENDS – Unleash dives, kickouts, and finishers with the biggest and most realistic-looking WWE Superstars and Legends: The Rock, Sasha Banks, Goldberg, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, and more.
- 619 YOUR WAY TO SUPERSTARDOM – Celebrate pivotal moments in Rey Mysterio’s iconic career in 2K Showcase. Booyaka!
- INTRODUCING MyGM – It’s your turn to call the shots as a WWE General Manager. Take the reins of Raw, Smackdown, NXT or NXT UK and draft your ultimate roster of WWE Superstars and Legends, then compete against rival GM’s to build the biggest brand in the WWE Universe. Become the top-rated show by setting up intense rivalries, over-the-top match types, championship showdowns, pay-per-view events, and an ever-escalating arms race of arenas and audiences. Once you’ve set the stage, play as a Superstar, interfere as a GM, or call the shots from behind the scenes —the choice is yours!
- RISE UP THE RANKS THROUGH WWE – Take on not one, but two MyRISE adventures, featuring unique male and female storylines that let you choose your journey like never before.
- BUILD FOR YOURSELF, SHARE WITH THE WORLD – The Creation Suite is back and better than ever. Be yourself or someone else. Then step in the ring anytime, anywhere in the world.
- ASSEMBLE YOUR OWN FACTION – In a franchise-first, the all-new MyFACTION lets you build a faction that rivals the nWo. Collect, manage and upgrade WWE Superstars, with weekly events and regular updates!
Expect a full review of WWE 2K22 on Xbox Series X|S from us in the very near future, but if you wish to join us in the ring, head over to the digital store of your choosing and grab either the Deluxe Edition for £84.99 or the nWo 4-Life Edition for a cool £104.99.
Both versions will let you play across Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, with the former adding in the Undertaker Immortal Pack, the Season Pass, the Starrcade ’96 Rey Mysterio Pack and those three days of early access. The latter takes that and ups the ante even more with special MyFACTION EVO cards, arenas and more. Yes it’s expensive, but you’re getting a ton of content.
Alternatively, hold tight until the March 11th release of the Standard Edition. You’ll find separate Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S options at the Xbox Store, along with a £69.99 cross-gen digital option. Take your pick as to which is best for you.
There are also a few packs which you can pay cash for, helping you along the way. The SuperCharger Pack will set you back £3.99, unlocking all the WWE Legends from the get-go, whilst the MyRISE Mega-Boost is similarly priced – it’s that which will literally give you a Mega-Boost, upgrading your MyPLAYER ratings and attributes. Aside from that, the Season Pass itself will cost £32.99
You’ll also find WWE 2K22 available on PS4, PS5 and PC.
Reckon this one really will hit different? Let us know in the comments below.
REDESIGNED GAMEPLAY ENGINE. NEW CONTROLS. ALL THE FEATURES YOU CAN HANDLE. Get ripped out of the stands and hit with complete control of the WWE Universe.