Whoever thought the answer to world hunger was to breed huge spider/dinosaur hybrid monsters to act as our new food source, should most definitely be fired, or perhaps be the first to be fed to such freakish creatures. Spidersaurs is set in a universe where there was such a fool, and former taste-testers Adrian and Victoria are left to pick up the pieces.
Releasing today on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch, Spidersaurs is an adrenaline-pumping run-and-gun title that tasks you (and a co-op friend if you so wish) with dashing around Contra-style and shooting down any Spidersaur you come across. It’s got all-new additions over the iOS version of the game that first brought this shooter to the masses, including multiple difficulty settings, essential mid-level checkpoints, and those all-important visual upgrades.
Whether you are doing battle in a scorching jungle, dilapidated laboratory, or even more scorching volcano, you can be sure to encounter a number of powerful weapons and power-ups that you can use in the seemingly endless fight against hordes of mutants: there’s everything from your standard fare, to lasers, to exploding sporting equipment, and Victoria even uses her punk-rock background to blast away her foes!
Talking of music, and every time you boot up the game, your ears will thank you: the theme tune to Spidersaurs has been crafted by the iconic Powerhouse Animation team, the very same behind Super Monkey Ball, Castlevania, and the recent Sonic Origins.
A more extensive list of features includes:
- Intense, Saturday-morning-cartoon-style action for one or two players — complete with theme song and epic intro from Powerhouse Animation!
- Two distinct playable characters: punk rocker Victoria and officer-in-training Adrian!
- Unleash awesome firepower — everything from spread guns and flamethrowers to detonating footballs and bass-heavy electronica! Twelve weapons in all!
- Explosive environments including volcanoes, jungles, laboratories, and more!
- A menagerie of unique and terrifying Spidersaurs to battle!
- Unlock new abilities as you advance through the InGest Corp facility!
- Three difficulty settings: Well Done, Medium, and Rare!
- Unlockable arcade mode and speedrun mode!
- Soundtrack by legendary Japanese composer Harumi Fujita!
- From the developers of Contra 4!
If you wish to do humanity a favour and blast those Spidersaurs back to whatever Lovecraftian horror they came from, then you can do so by picking up a copy from the Xbox Store for £16.74. That’s for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, of course, and Spidersaurs can also be found on the respective marketplaces for Switch and PC.
Want to know how this plays? We’ve got a review of Spidersaurs coming real soon.
Alert! Alert! The nightmarish dinosaur-spider hybrids known as Spidersaurs have run amok and only you (and a friend in co-op mode) can stop them! Created by InGest Corp to provide the meat and muscle that humanity needs to end world hunger, the Spidersaurs are now on the loose, leaving it to two former taste-testers – officer-in-training Adrian and punk-rocker Victoria – to use their awesome firepower to overcome six stages of ferocious run-‘n’-gun action. Blast through a sweltering jungle, an infested laboratory, the heart of a live volcano, and more! The tangy food source with a bite is biting back, but by grabbing power-ups, gaining new abilities, and obliterating everything in sight, you can send these mutant monstrosities back to the stone age.