It has to be said that the latest modern take on the SHMUP to hit Xbox One delivers one hell of a titular mouthful. But there’s most definitely something rather appealing about Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo.
Available to purchase and digitally download right this second on Xbox One, Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo comes from the one-man team at Bare Knuckle Development. Created in order to deliver a modern day take on the retro arcade shoot em up scene, Super Mega Space Blaster Special comes in Turbo form to ensure that Xbox One players get access to the most definitive edition possible.
Yes, not content with letting us partake in super space battles, rescue cute little blastonauts from the clutches of evil aliens or become the ultimate saviour of the entire human race, Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo also throws in extra ships, even more game modes than before, a ton of unlockables, additional challenges and more space-filled blasting than you can wish for.
Coming in at a smidge under £4 – £3.99 if you’re being picky – Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo will let you play out your space fantasies alone, or via a lovely little local cooperative mode with a friend alongside you, giving even more opportunity for you to harness the power of your space blaster and take on all alien foes.
And that’s just covering the basics, for the features list is a lengthy one…
- Fast-paced addictive shmup gameplay with bullet hell elements.
- 5 play modes give varied gameplay and replay-ability.
- Play alone in single player or with a friend in local cooperative or local competitive multiplayer.
- Collect coins to unlock all 15 space blasters (ships) each with their own perks. From fast ships for darting around to slower ships that allow precision aiming.
- Some space blasters have turrets, turning the game into a twin-stick shooter.
- All versions have a platform exclusive space blaster.
- Loads of awesome power-up weapons to help you take down your enemies including lasers, homing missiles, and multi-shot.
- Use your coins in the shop to upgrade weapons and unlock more perks.
- Collectables to aid you in your mission. Big-bombs wipe-out nearby enemies, shields help you survive longer, and magnets drag fuel and ammo towards you.
- Endless high-score chasing gameplay with over 15 enemies and a boss for those who can score high enough (gameplay continues after the boss).
- Over 40 in-game challenges to help you gain coins and develop your space blaster piloting skills.
- Simple hand-drawn art-style allows you to easily pick out the foes amongst the asteroids.
- Compete to be the greatest space blaster pilot in the leaderboards.
- Play along to the pumping 80s inspired synth-pop original soundtrack by Electric Fan Death.
Our full review of Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo on Xbox One will be with you very shortly, but for the asking price, this is certainly a game you can afford to take a punt on. If you agree, the Xbox Store is waiting. If you don’t, then well, hold tight for our full review and perhaps you’ll change your mind.
It’s 2051. Earth is all but dead, an almost uninhabitable polluted mess of smog and tar. Remotely control space blasters from a dying Earth. Fight in epic space battles against all kinds of weird alien spacecraft. Rescue cute ‘blastronauts’ from alien capture. Wipe-out the alien forces and take-over their planet to give humanity a new home. Time is running out. Do you have what it takes to become the ultimate space blaster pilot and the saviour of the human race? A modern take on the retro arcade shoot ’em up (shmup). Super Mega Space Blaster Special Turbo is an addictive, fast-paced space shooter with bullet hell elements, loads of unlockables, and leaderboards to climb. The ‘Turbo’ edition of Super Mega Space Blaster Special is the definitive edition giving you more ships, more game modes, more unlockables, more challenges, and more space blasting fun than any ever before. Blast your way through 5 unique game modes including 2 new Turbo edition modes. Save cute astronauts and destroy the boss to claim victory in ‘Save The Colony’ mode. Manage your fuel and ammo to survive to the big-boss in ‘Survival’ mode. Protect your mothership from damage for as long as you can in ‘Protect Mother’ mode. Blast your friends into space dust in local competitive multiplayer modes ‘To The Death’ mode and the new ‘One Shot’ mode. Play alone in single player, or with a friend in local co-op to take out the aliens. Collect coins to unlock more space blasters (ships), upgrade your weapons and power-ups, and explore the shop for extra perks. Complete over 40 fun challenges to get those extra coins. Use each space blaster’s strengths to your advantage; from turrets that allow twin stick control, to fast manoeuvrable ships that can outrun your foes. Arm yourself to the teeth with awesome power-ups like big-bombs, homing missiles and lasers. Destroy the alien boss and continue the endless gameplay to rack up a massive score and become the ultimate space blaster pilot and top the leaderboards.