Team17 have so many interesting games under their publishing arm, with the likes of Monster Sanctuary and The Survivalists being among the most recent, but they’re hungry for more. That’s where Studio Koba comes in, as it’s been revealed that they’ve partnered with Team17 to release Narita Boy, the side-scrolling mystical techno-tale on Xbox One, PS4, Switch and Steam. Even better news for us is the fact it will launch straight into Xbox Game Pass upon release this Spring.
Narita Boy is a heart-felt love story to the 1980s, which features a narrative-driven adventure that takes you to a game within a game. It places you in the shoes of the eponymous digital warrior who’s chosen to wield the Techno-Sword; a legendary weapon capable of defeating fearsome foes via melee attacks or from afar as it instantly transforms into a handy shotgun or devastating laser beam. By using this new weapon and with the help of the Motherboard, the spiritual leader of the Digital Kingdom, you will come face to face with corrupted enemies and hulking bosses in order to save the electronic synthwave world from the invading Stallions. These Stallions are essentially a group of rogue code that’s hellbent on forced rule and subjugation – hence, they’re bad news and must be defeated.
During the journey, you will also explore the memories of the creator that reveals his story, from his early years in Japan, up to his creation of – and connection with – the Digital Kingdom. Check out the full list of Narita Boy’s main features listed here:
- Go back to the future: A homage to the eighties with a new spin on classic gameplay styles, Narita Boy takes players back in time for blast from the past
- You have the power!: The Techno-Sword can be used alongside mysterious magic so that players can carve and blast their way through enemies great and small
- Might as well jump: The classic 2D platformer will see players explore imaginative landscapes and navigate a plethora of pixel art environments
- Pixel-perfect story: Encounter weird and wonderful digitised characters on a journey to discover the secrets of the Digital Kingdom and its elusive creator
- Pump up the jam: Inspired by the glory days of analogue synthesizers, the pumping soundtrack turns back the clock for this techno-journey.
On top of this news, today marks the beginning of the Saving The Arcade World campaign, powered by Narita Boy. Its creation has come about in order to raise awareness of the plight facing arcade games and arcade amusements. Team17 is partnering with The Strong: National Museum of Play in Rochester, New York, The National Videogame Museum in the UK, and Arcade Vintage: Museo del Videojuego in Spain, to ensure this distinct and important part of video games history is protected and preserved.
You can find out more in regards to #SavingTheArcadeWorld by visiting the Team17 website. And don’t forget, the mystical side-scrolling adventures of Narita Boy are heading to Xbox One (as well as being compatible with Xbox Series X|S), PS4, Switch and Steam this Spring. For now though, check out the nifty new trailer below!