The Falconeer swooped down in the frantic mess of November 2020. It was a launch title for the Xbox Series X|S, and it got a little lost in the melee. It’s hard to contend with a console launch and a flurry of AAA games like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion. Now, The Falconeer gets a bit more time to breathe. August 2021 is a little more sparse, and players can be tempted in with a newly complete ‘Warrior Edition’ and Edge of the World DLC.
The Warrior Edition on PlayStation and Switch packages the base game, the previously released Hunter DLC – which unlocked a new player class with a flyable Ormir dragon and a set of pyro-pot guided rockets – and also includes the Edge of the World DLC, which is released today on Xbox too. This DLC contains three additional side quests and some new boss encounters.
The key features of this DLC include:
- “A strange request” – Assist a wealthy and eccentric client in recovering an ancient relic and encounter a deep and ancient evil.
- “The Mawspring excursion” – Visit the exotic Mongress Mawsprings as they fight off a Mongress Hunter with a claim to rile, backed by an Imperial plot to expand their rule.
- “Lost Expedition” – Explore an ancient installation and uncover the dark fate of a Mancer expedition that was thought long lost.
- Discover two new “legendary Ace” classes; Arbiter and Corsair and ride a Fenix or Pteron respectively for the first time.
- New Weapon – Unleash the Imperial Shocklance, an electric weapon that can eliminate multiple enemies at once.
- The ‘Edge of the World’ DLC will also increase the level cap from 20 to 24 through various ancient items that can be discovered.
We liked The Falconeer when it first launched, giving it a solid 3.5/5, citing that “the gorgeous world of The Falconeer on Xbox is a triumph”. The story and grind was a little less charming, knocking it down a mark or two, so it will be intriguing to see whether the new batch of DLC alleviates the repetition and brings a little more quality to the narrative.
One of The Falconeer’s more astonishing attributes is that it was created by a single person, Tomas Sala. He was duly awarded with a BAFTA nomination for the gargantuan achievement of bringing a AAA-looking game to a next generation console on his own.
If you’re not aware of what The Falconeer is, it’s an aerial dogfighting game, but instead of planes, you’re fighting on the back of a gargantuan falcon. You are using a lightning caster from the back of the falcon to bring down krakens, airships and more, as you look to save the island nation of Ursee from destruction. There’s a mystery at the heart of Ursee too, which you uncover through side quests and missions over multiple campaigns.
The Falconeer: Warrior Edition is out today on PS4, PS5 and Switch.. The Edge of the World DLC is also available now and costs £6.99 from the Xbox Store.
Take on epic new missions, embark on new adventures and discover stories that will lead you to spectacular new locations on the periphery of civilization, in ‘Edge of the World’, an extensive new expansion for this BAFTA nominated game. Contains three brand new mini campaigns with nine new missions, exotic locations, two new playable classes with unique mounts, and the Imperial Shocklance weapon!