It’s not even out yet but already the SNK Corporation are building the hype with details of the post-launch DLC for THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV. It seems that the roster will be filling out pretty damn quickly too.
Due to launch on Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and PC through Steam, Epic and Win10, THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV is the next addition of the fighting game phenomenon as the battles commence and blood is drawn. Upon release we should expect to see the base game able to provide the fighting gods with what they need, but it’s going forward where things get more tasty.
Twelve additional characters have been promised through 2022, taking the roster up to no less than 51 playable fighters. The extras will come in teams too, with Team Garou and Team South Town kicking things off.
Each team is composed of three fighters, so the total number added onto the current roster of 39 means players can expect to fight with 51 star-studded characters in THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV.
Team 1 (Team GAROU) launches March 2022 and will consist of ROCK HOWARD, B. JENET, and GATO from the smash-hit fighter GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES.
- ROCK HOWARD – Though he’s the son of the fearsome Geese Howard, this young fighter with a complicated past was raised by Terry Bogard. A virtual prodigy when it comes to fighting, Rock has learned to utilize fighting styles passed down from both his father and stepfather. B. JENET convinces him to join Team GAROU this KOF
- GATO – This cold and calculated master-class fighter always strays away from the pack. He set out for vengeance after his mother died at the hands of his father. Though he wishes to go his own way, B. JENET was able to convince him to join the team as she has some info on his father’s whereabouts.
- B. JENET – The leader of a band of pirates known as the Lillien Knights, B. JENET has traveled the world far and wide. Daughter of the Behrn family, an influential international cartel, she became bored of her luxurious but tedious life and ran away to form the Lillien Knights. After the tumultuous events of the previous KOF, B. JENET has her suspicions that the worst is not over yet and sets her sights on joining this KOF to see what’s in store.
Team 2 (Team SOUTH TOWN) will launch in May 2022 and add the characters GEESE HOWARD, BILLY KANE, and RYUJI YAMAZAKI from the world-famous FATAL FURY series.
And then, Team 3 for THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV is coming in summer while Team 4 will release in autumn 2022. Their characters will be revealed soon.
With local and online play available, if you’re up for proving yourself as the king of fighters, then THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV should well be one to check out. There are going to be plenty of options available in how you splash your cash too, with all of the following kicking around the usual marketplaces…
- THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV Day One Edition (Physical Exclusive) – Base game + DLC Costume Terry “Garou: Mark of the Wolves” £49.99
- THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV Omega Edition (Physical Exclusive) – Base Game + Team Pass 1 + Artbook with 119 pages, Special Slipcase, 2 CD Soundtrack, 3 Lithographs + Team Pass 1 (6 DLC characters) + DLC Costume Terry “Garou: Mark of the Wolves” + DLC Costume Classic Leona £79.99
- THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV Digital Deluxe Edition – Base game + 3 Days Early Access + KOF XV Team Pass 1 (6 DLC character) £69.99
- KOF XV Team Pass 1 – KOF XV DLC Characters “Team GAROU” + “Team SOUTH TOWN” (6 DLC characters) £29.99
- KOF XV DLC Characters “Team GAROU” – 3 DLC characters (1 Team) £15.99
- KOF XV DLC Characters “Team SOUTH TOWN” – 3 DLC characters (1 Team) £15.99
Watch the latest trailer below and let us know what you think of this one.
I don’t mind DLC when it comes in the form of a new set of levels that have been developed after the original game was completed, but DLC as used in fighting games is such a rip off. If the base game with all modes and 39 characters is £50 (or under £40 from most online shops), then how is an extra 3 characters £16? And to make matters worse, they’re clearly finished and ready to go before the main game has even released.
I usually wait for fighting games to release an ‘Ultimate Edition’ and buy that, but I love KOF too much to wait. It is made worse by the fact that the South Town Team contains three of my favourite characters, so I will have to buy into the scam.
I guess at least the KOF XV base game contains as many characters as Street Fighter V does AFTER you’ve bought all the DLC.