Bored of the Soulslike? Don’t dismiss those games just yet, because one of the latest to make the most of the genre is Souldiers. Hopes are extremely high for this one.
Available to purchase and download right now on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC, Souldiers from the Retro Forge and Dear Villagers teams was originally due to drop in mid-May. A bit of tightening and polish has since been applied prior to today’s launch.
Playable on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC (Steam), Souldiers brings together a number of ideas, mostly metroidvania styled exploration, soulslike combat (yeah, we know what you’re thinking), RPG customisation and some precision platforming. Throw in a delicate pixelarted visual style and there’s some serious hype behind what Souldiers could well deliver.
It whisks you off to the world of Terragaya, a land that is verging on the brink between life and death. It’s here where you’ll be left to traverse and navigate as you see fit, utilising a variety of character classes in order to outwit foes, solve puzzles and take in the intricate 16-bit world.
This is not going to be a game for the faint of heart though, with key features as follows…
- Choose your class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An interconnected world: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses and secrepathways.
- 16-bit sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art packed to the brim with details.
- Smart moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever expanding moveset.
Sold? Get yourself over to the Xbox Store for an Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S download costing £16.74. You’ll find Souldiers on PlayStation, Switch and PC too.
While out fighting for the glory of their kingdom, you and your fellow soldiers are whisked away to Terragaya, a mystical land on the fringes of the afterlife. Your task is to locate the Guardian and move on to the next world. The hitch? You and your compatriots never actually died. Battle your way to the heart of the mystery: Outwit cunning enemies, solve nefarious puzzles, upgrade your character, and explore every corner of a dazzling, intricate 16-bit world. Souldiers is a handcrafted retro epic for the ages.