Slowly and surely Atari are bringing the classics back, Recharging them to ensure they meet the requirements of the modern gamer. The next game on their list will be an utter classic from back in the Atari 2600 days – Yars: Recharged.
Atari have today confirmed that it’ll be Yars which is the next game to be treated to a bit of recharging, releasing in the form of Yars: Recharged on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia, Atari VCS and PC later this year.
A game that comes with progressively challenging levels and fluid gameplay, Yars: Recharged is Atari’s latest classically-inspired trance shooter. It’ll feature indie-style gameplay infused with elements of classic arcade gaming and shoot-em-up punctuated by moments of chaotic bullet hell, as Atari deliver a visually stunning remake of the cult classic, giving players the chance to take command of a Yar warrior and battle through scores of enemy Qotile in an effort to defeat them once and for all.
Yars: Recharged will thrust players to the center of a daring attack against the enemy homeworld, guarded by mechanical hives that pulse deadly cannons and emit flurries of swirling missiles. It’s here where you’ll find pockets of safety amongst the hail of incoming fire, and then dart forward in daring forays to chip away at the enemy’s defenses. Gathering up enough energy by destroying enemy shields to power up the massively destructive Zorlon cannon is the order of the day, as will the pulsing, searing blasts of cosmic energy and annihilating enemies.
If you want a challenge, Yars: Recharged will provide it as players attempt to remain aware of visual and audio cues that hint at impending danger, and master the smooth flying controls as they navigate increasingly complex levels.
Yars: Recharged marks Atari’s return to the Yars universe, originally based on Howard Scott Warshaw’s cult classic Yars’ Revenge. Released in 1982, Yars’ Revenge made gaming history by becoming the best-selling original Atari title on the Atari 2600. Yars: Recharged extends the legacy of this iconic franchise and gives fans an opportunity to experience an expanded, modern take on the concepts introduced by the original.
Yars: Recharged key features will include:
- Boss Rush: Experience a nearly endless barrage of enemies. Three hits and you die, but don’t worry! The hit-count resets when moving to the next round.
- Mission Mayhem: Mission mode features 30 unique, challenging bosses and only one life to beat each. Take bosses head-on with a barrage of bullets, or opt for a different strategy and start with the smaller, Minor Cores first.
- Juiced-Up Power-Ups: Minor Cores will drop power-ups when destroyed. Shoot in all directions at once, utilize rapid-fire, blast with explosive shots, or fire a railgun – the nature of the power-up is tied to the nature of the core that dropped it.
- Co-op with a Co-Pilot: Featuring local co-op in both arcade and mission mode, partner up with a pal and take on the hordes of enemy fighters
- Yars: Recharged and the entirety of the Atari Recharged series is made in collaboration with developers Adamvision Studios and SneakyBox. Award-winning artist and composer Megan McDuffee created the beat-heavy, pulsing original soundtrack.
We’re big fans of what Atari are doing with their Recharged series of games and have much anticipation that Yars: Recharged will be equally as good as those which have come before it – if you haven’t yet played Centipede, Gravitar, Black Widow or the like, get to it.
We’ll be sure to let you know as soon as it releases on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Switch, Atari VCS, and PC via Steam and the Epic store.