I know it sounds something like a rejected pitch from the creator of Donnie Darko, but hear me out. You’re sailing the high seas without a care in the world, until you get swept up in a mighty storm. Unfortunately, your vessel hits the rocks and leaves you stranded on a strange island, inhabited by giant frogs. You’re left with nothing but a wreck, and must set about finding the materials to fix your once magnificent boat and leave the island. That’s Time on Frog Island folks, and it is out now.
However, this isn’t a case of simply searching for and finding the necessary components. You’ll soon come to realise the amphibian inhabitants hold much of what you need, and are prepared to engage in a series of trades. This spaghetti network of those who covet certain items will take you across Frog Island in your quest to fix up your boat.
You’ll meet many characters who will symbolise what they need (because, you know, Frogs can’t speak English) as well as solve puzzles, find hidden treasures and more as you snoop around the island. Keep in mind that every item is potentially important and try to figure out your next move in Time on Frog Island.
Time on Frog Island also offers the opportunity to fish, farm and blend simple brews in order to get about a little more easily. The islanders may also have a few tricks to teach you to help you on your quest.
You’re free to choose your own path in a sandbox style of play in Time on Frog Island, as exploration is key. Some items may help you access new areas by running faster, jumping higher or falling slower. Choosing the right combination is the key to success.
The key features include:
- Explore at your own pace:
- – Make your own path in this island sandbox, you never know what will be around the next corner!
- – Get to know the froggy locals and help out where you can.
- – Discover new items by fishing and farming, and concoct simple brews that will change how you traverse the island.
- – Learn from the frogs and put your new skills to the test around the island.
- Trade to fix your boat:
- – Ask around for the items you need, but bear in mind that you might need to do a frog a favor to get what you want.
- – Solve interesting puzzles to get your hands on required items.
- – Try not to get too sidetracked by island life!
- Experiment with everything!
- – Run faster, jump higher, fall slower, anything is possible if you’re holding the right item.
- – Discover different ways to complete those crucial trades.
- – Each object you pick up could end up being the key to something bigger.
For a closer look at Time on Frog Island, check out this trailer:
Time on Frog Island is out now from the Xbox Store for Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4, Playstation 5, Nintendo Switch and PC priced at £19.99. Or, for the old fashioned amongst you, a physical copy will be launching on 15th July.
Keep your eyes peeled for my review which will be hopping along soon.
Shipwrecked on a strange island! A terrible storm ravages the seas around you, casting your mighty vessel into the perilous rocks of a nearby island. You awake to find your ship in pieces, shipwrecked on a strange island filled with… frogs? A spaghetti network of trades will take you all over this strange island as you seek out materials to fix your boat. You will meet a cast of friendly characters, solve head scratching puzzles, find hidden treasures, and much more as you explore the world of Time on Frog Island.