Cris Tales, a love-letter to classic RPGs, is available now on all major platforms. You can grab it on PC via Steam, PS4 and PS5, Nintendo Switch, and, of course Xbox One and Series X|S for £34.99 or via Xbox Game Pass should you prefer. Cris Tales has Xbox Series X|S optimisations and also supports Smart Delivery, meaning if you buy the game on Xbox One, you’ll automatically receive the Series X|S versions at no extra cost.
If you’re unsure if Cris Tales is for you, the game has a free demo available on all release platforms. In addition, Cris Tales also launches on to Xbox Game Pass today for you to play fully or try before you buy.
- Breathtaking, reactive world of Cris Tales shown off in new in-depth video
- JRPG Cris Tales delayed until 2021 for current and next-gen platforms
Cris Tales boasts about its inspirations from classic and modern JRPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and Octopath Traveler, but interestingly, it’s Modus Games and a Colombian team – Dreams Uncorporated. The game’s release, which coincides with Colombian Independence Day, will be aligned with a $5000 donation to Save the Children, Colombia – a charity that Modus Games CEO Christina Seelye is incredibly passionate about.
“Save the Children, Colombia is an incredible organization that does amazing work,” Seelye said. “With so many children in Colombia being displaced or living under the threat of armed violence every day, any donation that we can make to help is something that we consider extremely important. We couldn’t be prouder to have Save the Children, Colombia as a partner in this endeavor.”
Though, Cris Tales doesn’t let its inspirations define it, as it seems it’ll still have a lot that’s new on offer.
Cris Tales innovates the genre with a unique take on time travel. Most of the time, your screen will be split into three distinct parts showcasing the past, the present and the future. Your main character will be moving through the middle part of the screen, the present, but being able to view different time periods effects every part of the game from its story, combat and exploration.
For example, while solving a puzzle, you can plant a seed in the past and then send your trustee frog companion to receive its fruits in the future. It also makes for an incredible visual spectacle as Cris Tale’s vibrant art morphs in real-time, constantly.
The story implications for this mechanic are probably the most exciting aspect. There are major story decisions to be made here and these will have a direct impact on the future. This means you’ll be seeing the consequences of your actions immediately and these decisions will also have an influence on the game’s aesthetics and narrative, adding at least some element of replayability.
Your time manipulation also comes in handy during combat. As a turn-based RPG Cris Tales is what you would expect. You take turns attacking, selecting special abilities and defending – the game includes timing-based button prompts so you can hit harder or parry more efficiently if you have the right reflexes.
The twist comes when you gain the ability to send enemies into the past or the future. Sending a vicious pack of walls to the past will turn them into harmless little puppies, while sending them into the future will make them frail and old, giving you the upper hand in combat. This can work in tandem with other abilities, such as tossing water onto an enemy’s shield, then watching it rust as you send them into the future. It’s not all advantageous, however, since certain scenarios would lead to foes becoming stronger as a result. It’s all about situational awareness and being tactile.
Key features of Cris Tales include:
- • A Love Letter to Classic JRPGs – Inspired by timeless JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Valkyrie Profile, and modern classics like Bravely Default and Persona 5, meet and recruit a unique cast of teammates, challenge myriad enemies, and make your way through an expansive world.
- • Experience the Past, Present, and Future Simultaneously – Peer into and learn from the past, decide on actions in the present, and alter the course of the future in ways that will reshape the world dynamically depending on the choices you make.
- • Master Strategic Turn-Based Combat – Warp your enemies into the past or future, synchronize attacks for enhanced group abilities, and master the timing of attack and defense to go beyond your party’s limits in combat.
- • Uncover a Fascinating Story & Characters – The Empress’ plot to destroy the world is complex and layered. Use your wits and recruit powerful allies throughout the world to uncover and undo her multi-faceted web and make your way to the True Ending of this enchanting tale.
- • Discover a Beautiful World – Climb aboard an airship or boat and traverse this handcrafted, dark fairytale world. From the shining kingdom of Crystallis to the slums of Saint Clarity, discover each unique location and shape its future.”
Cris Tales has shaped up to be a very interesting RPG that blends classic formulas and modern ideas. We’ll be sure to let you know how they play out once we’ve gone hands-on and are able to sort a full review.
In the meantime, get over to the digital store of your choosing and take home that download of Cris Tales now. Oh, and watch the latest trailer too…
Cris Tales is a gorgeous, indie love letter to classic JRPGs with a new perspective. Peer into the past, act in the present, and watch as your choices dynamically change the future — all on one screen as you play! Join the newly awakened Time Mage Crisbell and her fantastical companions in a fantasy world facing a grim future. The powerful Time Empress and her forces threaten to bring about a cataclysm tearing apart Crystallis and the other four Kingdoms of the region. To stop the Time Empress and rewrite the future of the land, you will embark on a harrowing journey across the kingdoms, meeting and recruiting powerful allies to aid in the fight. Master their abilities and Crisbell’s unique Time Magic to overcome mighty foes – send them into the past to face their weaker, younger selves, send a foe to a future where they’ve succumbed to all the damage of a poison applied in the present, or create your own strategies in this one-of-a-kind combat system. As Crisbell’s powers grow, you will make choices with far-reaching consequences for the people you meet – consequences that will impact the world you’ll experience in real-time throughout your journey. Every character, NPC, enemy, and even Kingdom has a past, a present and one or more futures, depending on your actions! Beautifully hand-drawn 2D art is animated frame by frame to bring the branching possibilities to life across more than 20 hours of gameplay. Experience a unique combination of branching stories, innovative combat, and classic RPG excitement in Cris Tales’ exciting and unforgettable exploration of how our actions echo through time.