Releasing onto Xbox One and X|S, PC via Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, LUNARK is a colourful 2D pixel-art platformer inspired by classic platformers such as Prince of Persia and 80’s sci-fi and action movies like Blade Runner, Indiana Jones and Total Recall.
LUNARK is set in the future where an artificial intelligence called NOAH has been created with the sole purpose of preserving humanity. It’s solution? To hijack the Moon and use it as an ark – the titular LUNARK, to transport a handful of chosen humans to the nearest habitable planet. What it forgot to do though was check whether the planet was inhabited…
You play as Leo. A courier with a mysterious past and a unique set of abilities who unwittingly gets caught up in the rebellion against LUNARK’s iron fist. You’ll run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot your way through gorgeously animated locations including mysterious alien ruins, a high-tech megalopolis, and a creepy alien forest.
Despite its alien setting and platform style, LUNARK is surprisingly realistic in its gameplay, something it doesn’t borrow from classic 90’s platformers like Mario or Sonic. Objects obey the laws of physics – no floating objects to collect or double jumps possible here! Characters have realistic anatomy and movement with realistic jumping distances and the inability to survive long falls. It’s not all boring real-life though with interesting contraptions like an anti-gravity belt to slow down falls or using the humidity in the air to generate ice ammunition to blast your enemies.
Created by solo-studio Canari Games thanks to a successful crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter, LUNARK can be bought and downloaded from the Xbox Store for £16.74, initially discounted at launch for seven days with £1.68 off. You should also find it on PlayStation, Switch and PC through Steam.
- • Experience a modern 2D cinematic platformer with precision gameplay, stunning animation, and rotoscoped cutscenes!
- • Immerse yourself in a compelling sci-fi story of survival, revolution, and mystery
- • Intuitive but versatile controls: Run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot your way to freedom!
- • Explore glorious pixel-art environments, including mysterious alien ruins, a flying penitentiary, a high-tech megalopolis, and an alien forest
- • Solve puzzles, overcome traps, and interact with a variety of characters
- • Discover hidden upgrades to expand your health and weapon capabilities
- • Yes, you can pet the dog (and cat)!
Set on a distant planet ruled by a totalitarian regime, LUNARK is a modern take on the 2D cinematic platformer genre of the ’90s. As Leo, a courier with unique abilities and a mysterious past, you’ll run, jump, hang, climb, roll, and shoot through gorgeously animated pixel-art environments ranging from a dystopian megalopolis to eerie caves to an alien forest. You must overcome traps, solve puzzles, earn upgrades, and battle enemy droids, and when you’re not fighting for survival, you’ll meet a cast of colorful characters who will put Leo’s allegiances to the test. Uncover the dark origin of humanity’s new home and the truth about yourself in this epic sci-fi adventure!