Having kicked around in Steam Early Access for a couple of years, it’s time for No Matter Studios to let us players Praey for the Gods for real – as the full brutal journey launches on Xbox and PC.
We love looking at Steam reviews, if only so we can gauge whether a new console game is worth a look. When those reviews sit in the ‘Very Positive’ range, after an early access period, our hopes start picking up.
That’s the case for Praey for the Gods, a boss climbing open world adventure from the No Matter Studios team. And whilst ‘boss climbing’ may not immediately be apparent to many, the fact that this comes with more than a hint of Tomb Raider crossed with Immortals Fenyx Rising about it, increases the chances of a player taking a look.
It’s priced at £24.99 on the Xbox Store, which seems a little high for a game that has gone completely under our radar, but when you delve into what is available here, it becomes all the more interesting.
It sees you playing as a lone hero, one who has been sent out on a quest to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. That gives you the set-up you need – expect cold icy lands full of danger – but from there it turns into a boss climbing affair; one where you actually climb upon the bosses in order to take them down.
With the need to craft and explore at the fore of this survival experience, items and loot are about as precious as you could imagine, as you look to build out from just the clothes that are on your back. There’s a ton to enjoy here actually, from the non-linear playthrough, the chance to take in tons of exploration and that overriding mystery which needs to be solved.
Key features include:
- Scale Massive Beasts – Overcome impossible odds to climb atop and defeat the massive beasts that are bound to this land.
- Climb, Glide, Swim – You can climb on virtually anything you can get your hands on, from ruins and mountains to the massive beasts that inhabit the land. Ascend to the tops of mountains and then glide over the open world to reach previously inaccessible locations. Swim in frigid water to uncover hidden locations that contain secrets and treasure, but don’t stay in too long or your swim could become your last.
- Explore, Craft, and Survive – You’ll arrive on a frozen island with only the clothes on your back — it’s up to you to survive. Make fires, hunt for food, and find the equipment you need to make it through an eternal winter. Nature isn’t the only danger, so craft weapons, defeat minions for better gear, and venture into long forgotten caves to discover their secrets. Triumphing over these trials will prepare you for the impossible odds that wait.
- Make Your Path – Praey for the Gods is a non-linear game where you choose who you battle and how. The large beasts can be attempted in any order allowing you to set the course.
- Unravel the Mystery – Why won’t the winter stop? Why has no one returned? Cryptic paintings left behind allude to a story once thought forgotten. To restore balance and reclaim the land, you will be faced with questions that not even the gods know the answer to.
- A Beautifully Frigid World – Explore a landscape of unending winter framed by snow-capped peaks and crawling fog. The remnants of an ancient civilization lie before you, but don’t let awe turn into carelessness — snow storms can crop up at any moment and bury you in a blizzard. Luckily, you can leave footprints in the snow and follow your footsteps back if you are lost.
How those features play out is anyone’s guess, but you’ll be sure we’ll be looking to break down some gigantic bosses as soon as we can. Once we’ve got a handle on the situation, we’ll jot down some review thoughts too.
If you’ve delved into Praey for the Gods on PC through Early Access, or are just coming in fresh like us, this is one that could well be a bit of a surprise hit. Pick up a copy of it for yourself by visiting the Xbox Store or the PC Steam page.
Praey for the Gods is a boss climbing open world adventure game where you play as a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying frozen world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. Arriving with only the clothes on your back, you must survive the colossal dangers that you encounter. To restore balance and reclaim the land from the brink, you will be faced with questions that not even a God knows the answer to.