Back in September 2020 The Signifier was announced for release on PC, with console editions due to drop in early 2021. Well, we’ve got both good and bad news for those holding out on that console release as even though it looks as if the game is being pushed back a little, we will at least be getting full access to the definitive edition of the game through the Director’s Cut, complete with new story content and gameplay enhancements.
Already available on PC via Steam (and having picked up some decent reviews), us console players are still holding out for a launch of The Signifier. It’s now looking to debut on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4 and PS5 later this year (so long ‘early 2021’) as The Signifier: Director’s Cut – the definitive edition of the tech-noir thriller.
Also hitting PC as a free upgrade for existing owners, the Director’s Cut version of The Signifier will have an expanded narrative, the usual next-gen enhancements you would expect (60FPS at 4K, 100+FPS at 1080p, faster loading), an overall improved experience with optimisation for lower-end PCs, bonus features including remappable controls and more.
Here’s what’s coming in The Signifier: Director’s Cut:
- Expanded narrative content featuring new memories, dialogue and voice-over, three additional story endings, and a new epilogue giving greater insight to key characters and choices.
- Next-gen enhancements, including support for an average of 60 FPS at 4K and 100+ FPS at 1080p, as well as faster loading times and high-resolution textures.
- Improved performance and experience, including better load times and frame rate, revamped animations and UI, and optimizations for lower-end PCs.
- Bonus gameplay features, including a new difficulty setting for those purely interested in experiencing the game’s story, plus new menu tips, clues, and remappable controls.
- Free upgrade for anyone who owns The Signifier on Steam, GOG.com, or the Humble Store when the new title update launches!
If you are unaware, The Signifier is a surreal first-person adventure that blends experimental investigation, psychology and artificial intelligence. It covers the tale of the moments after when the vice president of the world’s largest tech company turns up dead in her home, and it’s left up to you to explore her memories and emotions with a revolutionary brain scanner to uncover what happened. You will find yourself able to move freely between three dimensions – reality, objective memories and subjective feelings – all in the search of clues in mind-bending environments, the discovering of important revelations, solving of puzzles, and the need to put the pieces together in pursuit of the truth.
We’ll be sure to let you know once that fully confirmed release date for The Signifier: Director’s Cut on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5 and PC is known.