Since Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid arrived for purchase back in March 2019, the game has evolved massively. Initially lacking in content, the arrival of Season 1 additions was swiftly followed by even more warriors in Season 2. And then we had the news that nWay were looking to roll down the eSports route with the game too. Today though it’s all about the latest extensive additions to the base game and with the V2.0 update, Battle for the Grid is changing up once more.
Created by nWay in partnership with Hasbro, Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid throws together both current and classic Power Rangers and villains from 25 years of the multiverse as the fighters go at it in epic 3v3 tag team battles. With simplicity and fluidity at the fore of the action, whether you’re a fan of the Power Rangers or not, you can be sure for a pretty decent fighting time.
However, whilst the base game was initially lacking in many areas, the various updates that have hit the game ensure that it is now a completely different game to that which first launched on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC. With V2.0 though, things are going to get better still.
You see, it is this update which adds in Lobbies, a Spectator Mode, and PS4 Crossplay to the ever increasing list of post-launch features, including a Story Mode, a voiceover by the original cast, and direct match options.
For the first time we see access to online lobbies, allowing up to 8 players to joing as one in an online lobby to battle against each other. Up to four different matches can run simultaneously, and all participants can spectate online while they are on deck.
Further to that, the v2.0 update also opens up crossplay on PS4, so players across Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PC, and now PS4, can all battle each other in the same matchmaking pool for global supremacy.
“We are proud to be able to offer POWER RANGERS: Battle of the Grid players more content and features over the past several months,” said Taehoon Kim, co-founder and CEO of nWay. “With the latest update, the game is now exactly what we had envisioned when we started creating the title knowing that players will enjoy all of the competitive features, immersive story-lines and wide range of characters and arenas that make the game one of the best fighting games available.”
So, with Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid players can now enjoy key features in the game including:
18 Rangers & Villains across multple Generations
- A Standard Edition which comes with 12 starting warriors, including Jason Lee Scott, Tommy Oliver, Gia Moran, Ranger Slayer, Magna Defender, Kat Manx, Mastodon Sentry, Goldar, Lord Drakkon, Cenozoic Blue Ranger, Udonna and Dragon Armor Trini.
- The Season 1 Pass, which is bundled with the Collector’s Edition, comes with 3 additional warriors, including Trey of Triforia, Jen Scotts, and Lord Zedd.
- The Season 2 Pass contains 3 new warriors, including Doggie “Anubis” Cruger, Eric Myers, and Dai Shi.
9 Arenas across Iconic Locations
- Battle against iconic locations from the series, including Zordon’s Training Room and Command Center from Mighty Morphin POWER RANGERS, Harwood County Warzone from POWER RANGERS Super Megaforce, Mystic Forest from POWER RANGERS Mystic Force, Lord Drakkon’s Throne Room from Boom! Comics’ Mighty Morphin POWER RANGERS, Corinth from POWER RANGERS RPM, Planet Earth: Cenozoic Era and Tower from 2017 Movie, and Space Patrol Delta Base from POWER RANGERS S.P.D.
4 Megazords (Ultras)
- Summon Megazords and monsters, such as Dino Megazord, Dragonzord, Mega Goldar, or Delta Squad Megazord, to stage epic comebacks.
Original Story: A Reimagining of the Shattered Grid Event
- Story Mode’s narrative is written and voice directed by writer/director Kyle Higgins (Mighty Morphin POWER RANGERS: Shattered Grid, Nightwing, Batman: Gates of Gotham).
- The mode also features original artwork by Eisner Award-winning illustrator Dan Mora (Go Go POWER RANGERS, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Klaus). In Story Mode, players experience a re-imagining of the critically acclaimed Shattered Grid event from Boom! Studios’ POWER RANGERS comic book series.
- When Lord Drakkon, an evil alternate version of Tommy Oliver, sets off a massive campaign across time and space to destroy all POWER RANGERS, they must band together and fight back before all of existence falls to his armies.
Voiceovers by Original Cast
- Story and combat voiceovers are performed by original POWER RANGERS cast members, including Jason David Frank (Tommy Oliver), Austin St. John (Jason Lee Scott), David J. Fielding (Zordon), Kerrigan Mahan, (Goldar), Dan Southworth (Eric Myers) and Meghan “Strawburry17” Camarena (Kimberly).
Crossplay & Cross-progression among PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PC
- POWER RANGERS: Battle for the Grid enables crossplay among Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Playstation 4 and PC, where players across all gaming platforms can battle against each other in Ranked, Casual, Direct or Lobby Matches.
- Crossplay helps players find matches faster against similarly skilled players and opens up a larger matchmaking pool, making the game more competitive. The game also enables cross-progression, so players can carry progress made on one platform to another.
Challenge Your Friends in Direct Match & Online Lobbies
- Direct Match lets friends or any two specific players match up against each other.
- Online Lobbies allows up to 8 players to join together in friendly matches, where participants can battle in up to 4 different matches at a time or spectate on a match and be the next player up.
Whilst our full review of Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid should be taken in, chances are the amendments and changes made by nWay may see an entirely different result to that which we first took in back in March 2019. We’ll have some full thoughts surrounding the latest changes, and how the Season Passes play out, for you real soon. Keep an eye out for them but as always let us know your thoughts by posting in the comments.