It may not feel like the usual Atari title, but today the iconic gaming brand have announced that they will be behind the release of Haunted House; a chilling, stealthy, thrill packed affair.
Teaming up with Orbit Studio, Atari have today confirmed that Haunted House will be coming to the gaming world later in 2023. It’ll release on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S later this year. But you should also expect this one to hit PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, PC and Atari VCS too.
Paying homage to the original game, Haunted House will work in all-new modern ideas. It’ll play as a survival horror adventure, taking on dynamic roguelite elements and big boss battles as it goes.
Lyn Graves needs your help
In Haunted House on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch, PC and Atari VCS, you will take charge of Lyn Graves. The precocious niece of legendary treasure hunter Zachary Graves, Lyn visits her uncle’s mansion with her closest compatriots, only to find the house overrun with ghouls and monsters who quickly grab and spirit away her friends. In order to free her uncle and her friends, and capture all the supernatural foes, Lyn must find the shattered pieces of a magical urn. Oh, she’ll have to put them back together to contain the troublesome poltergeists, too.
Haunted House will push you through procedurally generated room layouts, shifting walls, unpredictable enemy placements, and unique ghostly encounters. And this means Lyn must creep, sneak, and dash her way through hordes of ghouls and eerie ectoplasms in order to locate her friends and uncle.
But each urn shard is fiercely guarded by a bone-chilling boss, requiring the use of 3D isometric stealth gameplay. Lyn must think on her feet to conquer each challenge. When she gets knocked out by a shadowy specter, she winds up back at the haunted house’s entrance. From there comes the opportunity to face an entirely new floor layout and enemy placement, ensuring each run is unique.
A plentiful list of features to discover
Being shown off at the upcoming Brazilian Independent Games Festival in Sao Paulo, the key features of Haunted House will include…
- Resurrected Roguelite: Iterating upon one of Atari’s greatest hits, Haunted House doubles down on stealth and mystifying challenges while adding roguelite elements, ensuring no two play-throughs are the same.
- All-Ages Thrill Ride: The whimsical, cartoonish art style only thinly veils the chills and thrills in Haunted House! Expertly riding the line between goofy and spooky, the game keeps things rated E with its primarily stealth-based gameplay and light combat sequences.
- Unlockable Characters: As Lyn explores the haunted dwelling, she’ll free her trapped friends, who become playable characters you can use to dive deeper into the mansion. Each friend possesses different stats, so depending on who you explore the mansion with, it’ll be a totally new experience!
- Atari Easter Eggs: The game is full of collectibles and lore based on the original Haunted House and other classic favorites from Atari’s golden age.
- Did We Mention Stealth?: With combat de-emphasized, players must focus on stealth movement and solving challenges unseen in the shadows, along with utilizing the arsenal of traps and items at their disposal to distract the ghoulies hunting Lyn. Lyn must collect gems to power up the skills and perks that make her that much stronger during the next trip through the mansion’s labyrinth.
When and where can you play Haunted House on Xbox?
Expect to discover Haunted House on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One later in 2023. It’ll also be on PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Atari VCS and PC.
Just don’t confuse this one with Haunted House Renovator.