Remember the arcade sci-fi shooter Tempest? Well, Atari are bringing it back as a reboot by the name of Tempest 4000 and delivering it to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 in July.
The original Tempest was quite a trendsetter back in the 80s as one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics and its legacy has lived on in popular culture – most prominently in the Ready Player One novel. Just like the original, Tempest 4000 remains faithful to the fast pace in this challenging wave-based shooter full of retro neon vibes, as you’d expect with Jeff Minter at the helm for development by Llamasoft. There are also brand new features added in and the graphics are set to be vastly improved.
“Modern home consoles are the descendants of arcade gaming,” said Jeff Minter, Executive Producer of Tempest 4000 and founder of Llamasoft. “We wanted to bring the classic arcade experience into players’ homes, so both franchise legacy fans and new gamers can test their mettle.”
In Tempest 4000, players are once again in control of the Claw, a powerful spacecraft well-equipped for destroying deadly creatures and obstructions using rapid-fire shots on vibrant geometric prisms. There will be three different game modes to choose from, with 100 levels to conquer by surviving and eliminating the hordes of enemies. Of course, leaderboards are in place for players to battle it out for the coveted top spot too.
Key features include:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Hordes of enemies will test players’ reflexes in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up
- Visually Stunning Graphics: Revamping the look of the original arcade game, Tempest 4000 features vibrant graphics in sharp 4K resolution
- Multiple Game Modes: Three different game modes will push players’ skills to the limit, including Classic, Pure and Survival: Classic: Equipped with three lives, players battle through enemies until all lives run out. Players can begin their next playthrough from the last completed stage with their previous high score. Pure: The classic arcade mode, Pure gives players three lives to start from the beginning and progress as far as possible. Survival: A brutal challenge, Survival gives players eight lives to survive as long as possible.
- Level Up: With 100 unique geometric levels to progress through, players must equip themselves with various weapons and power-ups, earning upgrades through bonus rounds;
- Global Leaderboards: Players can duke it out for the top spots on leaderboards for all three game modes in the quest to be recognized as number one
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: In true retro space shooter style, the game features a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990s techno
- Old School Gameplay: Nostalgia is here to stay with the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles
You won’t have to wait too long for this adrenaline pumping shooter either, as Tempest 4000 will be available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on 17th July, 2018 for $29.99. Let us know if it’s one you’re looking forward to, or not, via the comments below.