Back in June 2017, The Culling arrived on Xbox One as a Game Preview title. Delivered to make the most of the scheme, and to enable the team at Xaviant to ensure it was to be the game that they wanted, those who were willing to take a punt and help shape the game would have been rewarded with a cleverly crafted Battle Royale game.
Now though Xaviant have decided it’s time to ditch the Game Preview and they have made a run for the full Xbox Games Store. If you haven’t yet got involved with The Culling, now is your time to shine!
Available right now for £19.99, The Culling sees up to 16 players fight it out to the death as they take part in a winner takes all showdown that has been created for the entertainment of the audience back at home. Spread out across multiple arenas, there can only be one winner – and you’ll want to make sure it is most definitely you.
You’ll need to play dirty, you’ll need to get dirty, and you’ll need to utilise the trapping, shooting and exploding of your foes. At the end of the day though just remember this is not just a show, it’s not just a game – it’s a game show… about violence… lots of violence!
If you fancy a bit of the action that The Culling brings, you should be found heading to the Xbox Games Store immediately. £19.99 is all you need to find so grab a friend and get to it!
With the switch to full game status, The Culling has also received open more update, with the following fixes all now present.
- NEW! Golden Weapons
- Dev Comments: Rather than delivering traditional airdrops for award-based match events (such as Grab My Package and Loot Express), we are now sending a crate with a single Golden Weapon to up the stakes of each event. These are Tier 3 weapons for mid-match events and Tier 4 weapons for late-match events. Their stats are generally identical to their non-golden counterparts, with a major twist. Our goal is that these weapons will provide a competitive edge, but won’t guarantee that you’ll win the match.
- Bleeding Blade – This Katana delivers a bleed that lasts until the victim heals.
- Triflector – This Trident deals 2 points of damage to your opponent every time you are struck
- Nutcracker – This Sledgehammer can be charged for up to 3 seconds to deliver up to 60 damage
- Axetinguisher – While this Fireman’s Axe is equipped you are immune to all wounds
- VomiHawk – This Tomahawk inflicts a sickness wound with every strike
- Vampire Bat – Recover 2 hp each time you strike an opponent
- Doppledagger – When equipped, this Bowie Knife allows you to double-jump
- Infinity Pole – This Yari returns to your hand each time it’s thrown
- NEW! Voice Support (Xbox)
- Proximity chat and Teammate chat
- Both of these features can be disabled in the options menu
- NEW! Cosmetics
- Creepy Clown Outfits, Hair, and Masks
- 8 new Victory Celebration animations.
- All weapons receive two new skins
- 26 new Culling Cards
- NEW! Achievements (for Steam and Xbox)
Changes and Bug Fixes
- Improved leaderboards interface to display a detailed breakdown of the matches contributing to your score
- Revised leaderboards scoring criteria
- It is now more challenging to attain higher ranks
- Lower match placement positions pay fewer match points
- Fixed several UI-related crashes
- Fixed bug where automatic region selection was not working properly on Xbox
- Fixed bug where thrown items would sometimes fall through ground
- Fixed a bug that caused a hitch on player death
- Fixed a bug where poison gas visuals could be offset from the hazardous area
- Fixed a bug where kill notifications were sometimes blank
- Added tournament winner banners for “The Cullminator” and “Killer Island” community events
- Fixed a bug where controller vibration setting would not save properly
- Fixed a bug where a piece of invisible collision was created after throwing a poison gas grenade
- Fixed a bug that allowed clothing to be unequipped entirely
- Fixed a bug where snare wires would sometimes fail to connect if placed at max range
- Fixed a bug that prevented users from progressing past the splash screen when offline
- Scoreboard now displays icon for weapons that killed dead players
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to attempt to invite a teammate from the splash screen
- Bouncing crate for Boom Box event can no longer launch players into the air
ARENA BATTLE ROYALE Welcome to The Culling! 16 contestants will duke it out in cleverly crafted arenas. It’s a winner-takes-all showdown for glory and the entertainment of our home audience! It’s a show, it’s a game, it’s a game show about violence! AND THEN THERE WAS YOU There can only be one winner, and just like your parents always said, that’s you! Get dirty, play dirty, and get up close and personal as you trap, shoot, explode and take on your enemies face to face in combat that’s more personal than your mama jokes. PERSONAL AIRDROP Select your Airdrop and plan your attack before your boots even hit the ground. When the time is right, open up your arsenal and unload a world of hurt upon your opponents. Defense, offense, nonsense, the choice is yours! ENVIRONMENT HAZARDS Don’t like the way the tables have tilted? Tilt them right back in your favor. From toxic gas to falling bridges and traps, there are plenty of creative ways to use your surroundings to your advantage. WEAPONS, TRAPS, STIMS OH MY! Dice em, slice em, pick em and prod em. From the mighty pitchfork to the lowly rifle — we got it all. In The Culling, melee is king, and a few non-FDA-approved stimulants to enhance your combat effectiveness never hurt. Run faster, get stronger and become thicker…skinned to even the odds. PERKS We’re all special little butterflies and contestants are no different. Tailor your combat experience by mixing and matching Perks in the main menu to become the best you that you can be! PROGRESSION There may only be one winner, but in The Culling, nobody goes home a loser! Gain levels and unlock new customization options, including weapon skins, clothing, and taunts to show other contestants who’s boss. PLAYER’S CHOICE Winning is the goal, but how you do so is up to you. Contestants can play alone or with a friend as they take on multiple arenas and modes in search of a place on the podium. Got a plan? Want to test a strategy? Check out the tutorial and the practice range where you can hone your skills and embrace the homicidal lunatic your family always suspected you might be! MULTIPLE ARENAS The show’s producers have custom-tailored each of the arenas for maximum bloodshed and entertainment value. Outfitted with the latest motion sensitive cameras, hosts CHAS and CHASTITY keep contestants up to date with the latest gruesome events. Arenas are also outfitted with a “perfectly safe”green poison gas that creeps in to keep the action flowing, just like the adrenaline in your veins! SURVIVAL ISLAND The island that started it all, featuring lush trees, tranquil water, warm sunshine, and abandoned buildings. Enjoy all of the above as you hunt down your foes, using the tropical terrain to your advantage. Complete with unique match events such as Shake & Bake and Drop Your Bridges, this may be the gold standard of arenas. CUL COUNTY CORRECTIONAL Have you ever wanted to simulate a prison break? If so, you’re in luck. Under the shadow of night, you’ll find out why they’re called inmates in this intimate new battleground. Loot wards, lock down cells and make prisoners pay for their sins as you become the head honcho on the block. LIVE THE SHOW And where would a game show be without the games? Match Events keep contestants on their toes and are fun for the whole family. Shoot down free air drops in Loot Pinata, asphyxiate the competition with The Chokening or try your hand at an explosive game of Three Crate Monty! These are just a few of the exciting events that The Culling has in store for you, Contestant! Full details on the latest status of the game, how you can give feedback and report issues can be found at www.theculling.com.