The Metro series of games has gathered up a huge following over the years, with the likes of Metro 2033, Metro Last Light and the combined Metro REDUX just the forebearers to the magic of Metro Exodus. Today though the Deep Silver and 4A Games teams are going big, throwing out a free next-gen upgrade for Exodus on Xbox Series X|S and PS5, with a physical Complete Edition covering what is required for many more.
It was back in 2019 when Metro Exodus wowed the Xbox One, PS4 and PC crowds, but here and now in 2021 it’s time to fully focus on Xbox Series X|S and PS5 with the free next-gen upgrade that is now present.
The Gen 9 version of Metro Exodus does pretty much as you would expect to hear – 4K / 60FPS with full Ray Traced lighting running throughout on Xbox Series X and PS5 is in place, as are massively reduced loading times and a series of platform specific features that include spatial audio and controller latency fixes on Xbox, with haptic features present for those utilising PS5’s brilliant Dual Sense controller.
Thanks to 4A Games we’ve been able to check out these improvements ahead of time and were mightily impressed but what they bring. Our full review of Metro Exodus on Xbox Series X|S is in the works too, so keep an eye out for that in the days ahead.
The new improvements are found in place across not just the base game, but all the DLC expansions too.
But there’s more and today also signals the arrival of a physical edition of Metro Exodus, in the form of the Complete Edition. Again this gathers up the base game and both DLC expansions – The Two Colonels and Sam’s Story.
In all, the key feature list for Metro Exodus on Xbox Series X|S and PS5 include:
- Enhanced for the latest consoles – Enhanced to utilise to power of Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 including 60FPS, up to 4K resolution a Field Of View slider for the first time in the series and Ray Traced lighting.
- Enhanced for Xbox Series X |S – optimized for platform specific features including spatial audio and Smart Delivery support. Xbox Series X will boast full Ray Traced lighting, 4K 60FPS and Xbox Series S will deliver full Ray Traced lighting, 60FPS and 1080p resolution. Available via Smart Delivery.
- Enhanced for PlayStation 5 – optimized for platform specific features including DualSense™ Haptic Feedback support and 3D Audio, alongside full Ray Traced lighting and 60FPS 4K visuals.
- The Complete Package – includes Metro Exodus and all DLC content – The Two Colonels and Sam’s Story.
- Experience Sandbox Survival – flee the shattered ruins of dead Moscow and follow a gripping story that links together classic Metro gameplay with huge, non-linear levels.
- Deadly combat and stealth – scavenge and craft in the field to customize your arsenal of hand-made weaponry, and engage human and mutant foes in thrilling tactical combat.
- Explore a hostile world – embark on journey that spans an entire year through spring, summer and autumn to the depths of nuclear winter. Discover the Russian wilderness, brought to life with day / night cycles and dynamic weather.
Check out the trailer below to see how the upgrade works on Gen 9 and through the PC Enhanced Edition. And if you haven’t yet picked up Metro Exodus, you’ll find it available from the usual stores. On the Xbox Store it’s in place in various forms – the Standard Edition for £34.99 and the Gold Edition for £52.99.