If you’re looking for dark fantasy lore, 16-bit visuals and the chance to embark on a new top-down action-adventure, Hunt the Night is looking extremely promising. Especially as it’ll be coming to Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.
Coming from the DANGEN Entertainment team (recently behind the brilliant Astalon: Tears of the Earth) in collaboration with Moonlight Games, Hunt the Night combines fast, skilled gameplay with dark fantasy lore in a 16-bit aesthetic – and if you’re an Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch or PC player, it’ll be arriving on your format of choice.
In Hunt the Night, players control Vesper, a virtuous member of ‘The Stalkers’ order who must cross the vast and devastated world of Medhram, a place filled with ruins and horrors. On her journey, she must battle through dungeons full of gruesome enemies, overcome challenging bosses, and use her arsenal of weapons and dark powers to take back the Night.
Players who love the rewarding challenge of Bloodborne and Souls-like dark fantasy games, but enjoy the exploration and graphic style of classics like The Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana will find interest in Hunt the Night.
About Hunt the Night:
It is the 9th Age of humanity. The cycle of day is ruled by humans, the night one by horrid creatures. Despite its efforts, humanity is annihilated with every arrival of the Night.
A group of humans, calling themselves ‘The Stalkers,’ discovered how to use the power of darkness to their advantage and fought the Night. However, it was not enough, and with every new dawn humanity rose again knowing that, with darkness, comes extinction.
Humanity found the ‘Seal of Night,’ an artifact that allowed them to stop the cycle in an everlasting day. In exchange for a blood oath that The Stalkers were willing to pay, the sun ruled for hundreds of generations and, for the first time, hope was a beacon of light. Yet fate proved unstoppable, and they paid the ultimate price.
Now, as the Night starts devouring every single glint of light, Vesper, a Stalker by right and daughter of the traitor, will travel a dying land trying to save the last embers of humanity. She hunts in a race against destiny, as the shadows lengthen both in the world and in her mind.
The key features of Hunt the Night include:
- Engage in Fast-Paced Dynamic Combat – Dash through enemies while you unleash your combos, use your weapons or destroy them with your dark powers. You can switch between melee and ranged attack in quick succession: slashing enemies with your sword and then dashing away to use your ranged weapons, avoiding enemy attacks.
- Face Intense Challenging Bosses – Endure the ultimate challenge as you fight the ancient horrors of the Night that have been annihilating humanity over and over in intense boss battles. Learn their weak points, attack patterns and survive through the different combat phases as the battle gets more challenging and extreme.
- Upgrade and Customize Vesper’s Build – Create your own build that will adapt not only to your prefered gameplay but also to particular bosses. Customize the upgrades of your arsenal and use the equipment that best suits your gameplay: Critical Damage, Life Steal, Poison, Close Combat, Firepower and more. Collect Sanguine vials, Crow Feathers, Moonstones and Noctilium to increase your stats and get ready to face the Night.
- Discover the Dark World of Medhram – Explore Medhram in a combination of action-adventure and dark fantasy lore. Survive huge dungeons full of traps, enemies, puzzles and challenges. Discover all kinds of locations, from ancient cathedrals and libraries of knowledge to lost kingdoms and devastated floating cities.
- Complete ‘Hunts’ as a Member of the Stalkers – Accept a hunt at ‘Crow’s Nest’ and track down the dark beast, find where it hides and hunt the most powerful creatures of the Night. After every completed hunt you will get rewards that will increase your health and dark energy bar.
- Follow Questlines for Secondary Characters – Meet new characters and open full questlines that will vary depending on your actions: deciding to help them or not, finding them at their next location, failing to achieve the mission requirements in time… Everything counts!
- Play to Adapted and Immersive Music – Immersive and adapted music to every moment, boss and location, with the collaboration of Hiroki Kikuta, Secret of Mana composer.
Sold? We will of course keep you in the loop but for now the trailer is worth a watch…