If you’ve been hankering for a return to Battlefield 1943, or have looked jealously over at some of the more serious, simulation-oriented WWII shooters on the PC, then Enlisted might just be your tonic.
Developed by Gaijin Entertainment and Darkflow Software, this is a realistic WWII shooter that is a timed exclusive on Xbox Series X|S. Find it in the Game Preview section of your Microsoft Store. You’ll need to buy the ‘Founder’s Pack’ to get access to the game.
As Enlisted is still in development, you’ll only have access to solo campaign missions for now, with multiplayer planned in the future. The ‘Battle for Moscow’ is the first campaign available, as it recreates the clashes between German and Soviet troops over the winter of 1941-1942. Further campaign levels are planned, with the ‘Normandy Invasions’ and ‘Battle for Berlin’ coming up next.
As with Battlefield, combat is not reserved to the troops on the floor. You will assume the roles of an infantry squad, a tank crew commander and an aircraft pilot. What makes Enlisted stand out is that you are a squad rather than an individual, and you can switch between your companions at the touch of a button. There’s the opportunity to outfit them with weapons and equipment too.
This is something of a technical marvel, appropriate for a launch game on Xbox Series X|S hardware. It utilises the Dagor engine to bring proprietary ray-tracing (that holy grail of tech demos), and a solid 60FPS in all instances. It also shines in full 4K on Xbox Series X. Expect to get drafted into surveys and profiling, as the developers are looking for feedback before a full launch in 2021.
- – Epic battles that look as massive as the historical battles, like the Normandy Invasion. Players assume the roles of an infantry squad or a tank crew commander or an aircraft pilot.
- – High input of each player in the team victory: despite the massiveness of the battles, the result is significantly defined by the performance of each player.
- – 10+ distinctive squad classes like assault, sniper, heavy gun, mortar, flamethrower, anti-tank, engineer, radio specialists, tank crews, aircraft pilots and others.
- – Hundreds of weapons, ground vehicles and aircraft types. Each of them is based on a real model used in the specific historical campaign of World War II.
- – A player can customize and train squads according to their individual playing style, unlock perks and upgrades as long as this does not contradict the historical accuracy principle.
Enlisted is a timed-exclusive on Xbox Series X|S. Find it in the Game Previews section of the Store. Just buy a ‘Founder’s Pack’ to get access, with three available – the standard Founder’s Bundle for £41.74, or the opportunity to embark on the German or USSR sides, each of which will set you back £24.99.
We’ll have a full review of Enlisted once it comes out of this Game Preview phase so look ahead to that months down the line. No doubt we’ll drop some early access thoughts at some point too.
This game is a work in progress. It may or may not change over time or release as a final product. Purchase only if you are comfortable with the current state of the unfinished game. Enlisted is a squad-based first person MMO shooter covering key battles from World War II. The game carefully recreates weapons, military vehicles and the atmosphere of that era, while demonstrating really massive clashes of numerous soldiers, tanks and aircraft with artillery and naval support. At first, players will be able to fight in the “Battle for Moscow” campaign that recreates the heavy clashes between German and Soviet troops in the outskirts of the Russian capital during the winter of 1941-1942. The next campaign to arrive will be the “Normandy Invasion” covering D-Day landing and following battles. There are more campaigns already in development including the “Battle for Berlin” and others.