It won’t be long before NBA 2K23 releases on PC and console, with Jordan’s Legacy front and centre. But it’s the WNBA that could well be one of the main focuses of the game this year, especially as it’s been confirmed that the Xbox Series X|S and PS5 versions of The W will be complete with new features and updates.
Due to release on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC on September 9th 2022, any basketball fan is going to find NBA 2K23 hugely appealing.
But it’s The W, the WNBA mode in-game that is set to really excite with the PS5 and Series X|S versions having extra features included. It’s a mode that is set to shine bright on current gen, with all-new community goals, a playable All-Star game, the Commissioner’s Cup and more.
“The WNBA is quickly growing and evolving, and we are ensuring that we also expand the breadth and scope of The W mode to bring fans of the WNBA more ways to experience it,” said Felicia Steenhouse, Senior Producer at Visual Concepts. “This year The W provides an even more authentic WNBA experience that players can enjoy, from choosing how to expand the league to leading the community to new heights.”
The W mode adds a number of new features with NBA 2K23, including:
- Community Goals: Every Season will feature six weekly goals the community can work together to reach. If the community is able to reach the collective goal in four out of the six weeks in that Season, every NBA 2K23 player will receive a reward;
- League Expansion: Progressing in The W to the maximum level 10 in League Popularity will unlock two Expansion Team slots. From here, players control how the league expands. Pick the city, build the arena, create the logo, and design the uniforms.
- The W Rewards: New content and epic rewards, including WNBA Jerseys, Logo, and Coach MyTEAM cards, can be exclusively found in the W Online. Players can flaunt their jerseys, brand new historic gear, and more in both The W and The City;
- Game Changers: Players who dedicate an immense amount of time and effort to achieve the community goal will earn Game Changer status. Game Changers will be granted exclusive access to rewards such as Team Takeover Boosts and will have the ability to imbue other players in The W Online with Player Boosts;
- Contact Challenges: As players progress through the mode and gain contacts, they will be issued challenges. These challenges will have players circling certain games on the calendar, teaming up with new players in Contact Workouts, aiming for season-long stat goals, and stretching their game in new ways;
- All Star & Commissioner’s Cup: For the first time in The W, players will have the opportunity to make the All-Star team and participate in the All-Star game, as well as the Commissioner’s Cup;
The latest Courtside Report is able to provide the deepest of dives.
NBA 2K23 is currently scheduled to launch on September 9th for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Go and grab a pre-order from the Xbox Store if you like.