It’s only been available on PC for some six months, and it may have more than a hint of Overcooked! about it, but PlateUp! has gone down really rather well. Next up on the menu though is the move to console, and come this October we’ll be finding the roguelite kitchen capers arriving on Xbox, Game Pass and more.
Some Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam mean that PlateUp! is one that we are very much welcoming in to the fold on console, as the Yogscasat Games and It’s happening teams look to allow console players the chance to earn a licence to grill. And it’s set to arrive on Xbox, Game Pass, Nintendo Switch and PS5 – with physical version available for those last two.
Those physical drops will be handled by Numskull Games, as will the collector’s edition of the game.
So what is PlateUp!? Well, it’s a 1-4 player cooking management game, very much in the style of those that have filled the genre in recent years. But the catch with this one is that it drops in some roguelite elements for good measure, all as you go cooking, serving and creating your finest dishes. The goal? To create the finest culinary kingdom ever known.
What this means is that you’ll get to manage your restaurant across a couple of weeks of cooking madness, as you earn money, unlock new gear and expand your humble kitchen. With automation allowed, it should be a cinch to see the cash roll in.
We’ve seen this one in action, and whilst we didn’t give it a go ourselves, we saw enough to understand that it is another one to add to the party pile. If only as the key features cover some rather tasty elements…
- COOK! Classic co-op cooking action, with a wide selection of mains, sides, sauces, toppings, desserts and starters. Choose your equipment, lay out your kitchen, curate your menu and plate up your dishes.
- SERVE! Equip your restaurant to handle the most fickle of customers and deliver them what they need, right when they need it. Look after front-of-house by seating customers, delivering orders and managing their patience.
- UPGRADE! Upgrade and rearrange your restaurant to your personal taste: when the restaurant closes for the day, the planning begins! Want to go high-tech? Crank up the conveyors and make way for the robo-kitchen of the future.
- AUTOMATE! Use auto-mixers, grabbers and more to streamline the restaurant, automate your kitchen and let the dough roll in.
- EXPAND! Co-operate with your team like a well-olive-oiled machine or build a name for yourself going it alone. Exceed your goals and take your franchise to greater heights at a new location, bringing with you new unlocks and upgrades.
“PlateUp! has been hugely successful with players on PC, so we’re delighted to be dishing it up to console platforms later in the year,” said Simon Byron, Director of Publishing at Yogscast Games. “The game’s blend of roguelite restaurant management and chaotic cooking have proven to be great ingredients for a compelling new take on the cooking genre, and we’re thrilled for console players to join in on the culinary action soon.”
We’ll keep you looped as the full release date for PlateUp!, but keep an eye out for this one on Xbox, Game Pass, PlayStation 5 and Switch in October. If you can’t wait that long, it’s already kicking around on PC through Steam.
Enjoy the trailer…