If you haven’t previously played Red Faction Guerrilla, then you should be hugely excited for the Re-Mars-tered Edition. And if you have previously played it, then hell, you’ll want to get involved once more. Today we get one step closer to full on destruction as THQ Nordic has confirmed the release date.
And that date is July 3rd 2018 – the day when Independence Day occurs on Xbox One, PS4 and PC as Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered hits our consoles in glorious 4K.
But if you’re new to the scene and are not sure what Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered is, then why should you be so excited?
Well, it’s a game that is set 50 years after the climactic events of the original Red Faction, letting us willing players drop into the boots of an insurgent fighter with the newly re-established Red Faction movement. Helping out in the battle for liberation from the oppressive Earth Defense Force, you will find that Red Faction: Guerrilla once defined the limits of destruction-based gameplay with a huge open world, fast-paced guerrilla-style combat, and true physics-based destruction. And even now, nearly a decade on, it promises to continue with those trends.
Features of the game include:
- Open World Guerrilla Warfare – You decide who, when, where and how to battle. Utilize guerrilla tactics, improvised weaponry, and modified vehicles to lead insurgent attacks on EDF targets. Launch attacks based on your own gameplay style, take on missions in any order you choose, and engage in destructive activities to weaken the EDF’s grip on Mars.
- Strategic Destruction – Use destruction to your tactical advantage, setting ambushes or chain reaction explosions to attack enemy strongholds and permanently modify the game environment. Leverage fully-dynamic physics-based destruction to improvise on the fly: blow holes in a wall or floor to set an ambush or escape, take out a staircase to stop your pursuers, or drive vehicles through blown-out walls.
- Evolving & Emergent Gameplay – Carve your path through an ever-changing landscape as you improvise your combat tactics, mixing gameplay styles, vehicles, weapons and explosives to defeat the EDF.
- Epic Sci-Fi Setting – Explore the huge, unforgiving Martian landscape, from the desolate mining outpost of Parker to the gleaming EDF capital city of Eos; then tear through the fully destructible open-world environments swarming with EDF forces, Red Faction resistance fighters, and the downtrodden settlers caught in the cross-fire.
- Multiplayer Combat – There is no place to hide when you put your guerrilla warfare skills to the test in a variety of highly destructive multiplayer combat modes.
All of this will be pretty familiar to previous Guerrilla players, but with the advancements in technology, and the jump to the latest gen of consoles, we see THQ Nordic given the opportunity to push things on again. That means the Re-Mars-tered Edition will come with fully reworked visuals, improved shadow rendering and lighting and reworked shaders and postprocessing. Native 4K support will be present for the PC version, Xbox One will run at 900p @ 60 FPS and Xbox One X owners will be able to get hold of 1800p @ 60 FPS or 4K @ 30 FPS. PS4 players will take Red Faction in with a 1080p 60 FPS offering, whilst the PS4 Pro bad guys will hit you at 1500p @ 60 FPS or 4K @30 FPS.
All you really need to worry about though is that Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered will look damn good!
But it gets better yet and should you own a copy of the original 2009 version of Guerrilla on Steam, will find that you automagically get the Re-Mars-tered edition for free.
Prepare to swing those sledgehammers! Oh, and watch the trailer. Deffo watch the trailer!