Perhaps one of the most anticipated releases this year – and that’s saying something, with how well 2023 is stacking up – Arkane Studios’ Redfall is the co-op first-person shooter that many have been waiting for since Left 4 Dead, well, left our screens!
Releasing today on Xbox Series X|S and PC, and arriving day-one to you lucky Game Pass subscribers, Redfall marks a slight deviation from the stealthy norm for Arkane. Whilst previously the likes of Dishonored, Prey and the recent Deathloop placed a heavy emphasis on creeping in the shadows, waiting for the perfect moment to strike, many of the trailers for Redfall suggest towards a more gung-ho approach. Not to say that there is no place for the more silent types, but getting up in some vampire’s faces with a shotgun certainly won’t be frowned upon.
Set in an otherworldly interpretation of suburban Massachusetts – the Basswood neighbourhood – it is down to you and up to three friends to save this world from the vampiric clutches of the Night Manager, a supreme vampire in control of his many terrifying minions.
The first element of ‘play your way’, a system of gameplay control that Arkane can be considered masters of now, is to pick your unique hero from a determined little bunch of hunters. Whether you utilise the telekinetics of Layla, the sharp-shooting skills of Jacob, the medic Remi, or the inventive Devinder (complete with Blink-like teleportation), each hero will come equipped with some pretty wacky magical abilities, useful in both solo play, and when synergising with others.
Ultimately, however, the real fun comes from just blasting vamps in their faces, before closing in to finish them off with the stakes that come attached to your boomsticks. Shotguns, snipers, ARs – the whole gang of weapons are at your disposal: it’s just up to you to use them best!
Key game features include:
- Uncover the Truth, Take Back Redfall – The island town of Redfall, Massachusetts, is under siege by a legion of vampires who have blocked out the sun and cut the citizens off from the outside world. Explore the open world and immerse yourself in a deep story campaign as you unravel the mystery behind the vampires’ appearance. Ally with a handful of survivors against the creatures threatening to bleed the town dry.
- Slay Alone or Squad Up – Redfall blends single- and multiplayer options seamlessly, allowing the player to venture into the darkness alone or to squad-up for up to four player co-op. Teammates can try different hero loadouts and combine their strengths to find creative solutions to the vampire apocalypse. You will collect an arsenal of specialized weaponry and customize your character with unique upgrades and abilities to suit your playstyle for guns blazing, stealth combat, and everything in-between.
- Unconventional Heroes Vs. The Night – Created by science experiments gone wrong and gifted with psychic abilities, Redfall’s vampires will challenge you and your squad to get creative. You will choose from a team of diverse heroes – each with their own character-specific abilities – to overcome the vampire legion and their brood of maniacal followers.
- – DEVINDER CROUSLEY – The Verified Cryptid Hunter: A cryptozoologist and aspiring inventor. Armed with weapons of his own creation, he’s on a mission to prove himself.
- – LAYLA ELLISON – The Telekinetic Threat: A biomedical engineering student who volunteered for a medical trial where something went very wrong, leaving her with intense telekinetic abilities.
- – REMI DE LA ROSA – The Ingenious Ingeniera: A brilliant combat engineer who has spent her life on the frontlines. With the help of her robot cohort, Bribón, she’s determined to help rescue Redfall’s survivors.
- – JACOB BOYER – The Deadeye with an Undead Eye: An ex-military sharpshooter turned private contractor. Strange happenings on Redfall have left Jacob with a mysterious vampiric eye and a spectral raven that’s never far from his side.
- The Open World of Redfall – Redfall is a true Arkane experience set in a rich world that blends the familiar with the extraordinary. Redfall’s open world is handcrafted by the master level designers behind Prey’s Talos I space station and Dishonored’s Dunwall. From the town’s once-bustling downtown and the haunted forest to the decimated seaside boardwalk and beyond, you will fight through cultist outposts and supernatural psychic spaces as you piece together Redfall’s many mysteries.
Redfall is now available on Xbox Series X|S and PC for £69.99 (base edition), or upgrade to the Bite Back Edition for £99.99 and receive some in-game weapon skins, attachments, and the ability to unlock future heroes for free through the Hero Pass. Those playing on Game Pass will automatically unlock Redfall’s Vampire Hunter Pack, which also includes a new weapon, cosmetic and attachment. You can upgrade at a later date if you like too, with the Bite Back Edition Content Pack for £29.99.
Can Redfall get the green light? Our full review of one of 2023’s hottest titles if fast incoming.
Redfall is an open-world, single player and co-op FPS from Arkane Austin, the award-winning team behind Prey and Dishonored. Continuing Arkane’s legacy of carefully crafted worlds and immersive sims, Redfall brings the studio’s signature gameplay to this story-driven action shooter.