Driving a train is a big deal: dozens of passengers depend upon you to ensure their day runs smoothly, you have the constant threat of the company director breathing down your neck, and mess up and, well, there could be catastrophic consequences. However, what if you could be both the driver and director? Enter Train Life: A Railway Simulator!
The latest in a long line of trainy sims, such as that of the recently released Train Sim World 3, Train Life: A Railway Simulator is today releasing onto Xbox and PlayStation just after an August debut over in the land of PC.
With ten countries to drive across, first and foremost you are the train driver, learning to master the many moving parts and buttons of the numerous locomotives you can haul around. Throw in an array of railway signs to learn, and hazardous weather conditions always on the horizon to muck up a journey, and it will take even the most veteran of train enthusiasts a good few shifts to master the art of the train.
Second to the classic driving, however, is the promise of operating your own train company from above – a first in railway simulation, as developers Simteract are keen to push. As well as hiring your own workforce, you’ll be in charge of purchasing a fleet of trains, ensuring coverage across a range of regions. By exploring new routes and taking on both Passenger and Freight contracts, you’ll soon have the edge on your competitors.
A more complete list of features packaged in with Train Life: A Railway Simulator (according to their Steam listing) includes:
- Drive faithfully reproduced iconic trains, such as the ICE 3, ICE 4 and NEWAG Griffin
- Create and customize your own trains, from their outer appearance to your cab interior
- Manage your company: hire conductors, choose contracts, build your network, maintain your locomotives to prevent breakdowns and emergency repairs
- Travel 10,000 kilometres of track through the towns and countrysides of Eastern Europe, Western Europe and the Alps region
- Visit a wide range of true-to-life stations, such as Berlin Central Station and Zurich Main Station
- Follow the railway signage while adapting to the switches and managing speed, track changes, braking distances, station arrivals, and the opening and closing of doors
- Handle unexpected situations, such as a tree on the line, snow build-up on the tracks, or another train on your track
- Adapt your driving to the weather conditions and the time of day to prevent accidents, day and night, through downpours and blizzards!
Today also marks the arrival of the Orient Express. Available as DLC and in the eponymous game edition for £33.49, the Orient Express is a famous steam train built by the Compagnie Internationale des Wagon-Lits. Operating it is a world away from modern trains: drivers need to shovel coal into the firebox and use the regulator handle to make the train move forward. This new locomotive comes with five exclusive scenarios and two new stations in the Career mode: Strasbourg and Vienna. You can also grab this content for an individual £10.74 DLC add.
Alas, Train Life: A Railway Simulator is what it says on the tin – one of the most complete railway simulations out there! If you fancy picking up a copy on Xbox Series X|S or Xbox One, head over to the Xbox Store where a ticket to ride costs £24.99. Alternatively, the game can be found over on PS5, PS4 and PC.
For the first time in a railway simulator, you are the driver and the company manager! TAKE THE CONTROLS OF YOUR TRAIN AND TRAVEL EUROPE Drive your passengers or goods across 10 countries and explore the countryside, towns, forests and mountains of Europe from your cab. Each locomotive has its own characteristics (power, braking, etc.), which you need to learn to control them expertly, while following the railway signs and adapting to the weather conditions. BECOME A TRUE RAILWAY ENTREPRENEUR As well as driving trains, you need to operate a successful company. Create your own company; buy and maintain your trains; hire conductors and give them new contracts; explore new routes; and optimize your Passenger and Freight activities. Make the right choices to earn money and grow your business!