There’s an intense twin-stick shooter looking to put a fresh spin on gravity and it’s coming to Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC later this year. It’s called Curved Space and involves you going up against some invading inter-dimensional spiders.
Curved Space, the debut title from developers Only By Midnight, is aiming to be a modern take on the classic arcade shooter genre. Everything from bullets to energy spiders will curve and warp around the bizarre 3D arenas within the game, including across the surface of asteroids, space stations and mobius strips that defy the laws of physics. To cap it off, it’s all going to be accompanied by a pounding ‘80s-inspired synthwave soundtrack courtesy of FiXT.
Set in the distant future, mankind has begun harvesting energy found in some gigantic spider monsters from another dimension. Throughout the mind-bending Story Mode, you’ll need to learn how to harvest, which entails blasting, lashing and leeching power out of these creatures. At the same time you must attempt to hold together the rapidly fracturing reality of what is a surreal universe. Choices made will take you down unpredictable new timelines, while upgrade picks can alter how battles play out against a selection of enormous boss monsters.
Those looking for a more arcade-style experience in Curved Space can decide to dive into Survival Mode instead. Here, power-ups need to be chosen intelligently and every ship ability must be mastered in order to hold off the endless, escalating hordes ahead. If it’s bragging rights you’re after, don’t worry because there will be a daily seeded challenge run with online leaderboards for an authentic arcade challenge.
- 2D twin-stick style shooter action wrapped around gravity-defying warped 3D arenas.
- High-energy synthwave soundtrack featuring artists Scandroid, Fury Weekend & 3Force.
- Master advanced ship systems. Energy lashes, dash-boosters and Overdrive Mode.
- A non-linear Story Mode sends players down unpredictable timelines to strange endings.
- Stylish comic-style cutscenes from Heavy Metal artist Kyle Charles.
- Tons of weird and wonderful alien insects to battle, lasso and leech energy from.
- Face massive multi-stage boss battles in Story and Survival Mode.
- Over twenty weapons, from laser cannons to magnetic throwing blades.
Keep an eye out for Curved Space, which is due to launch this autumn on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam for PC. There’s also expected to be a public beta (PC only) this summer, so don’t miss that, but for now feel free to have a watch of the reveal trailer!