Time to come clean: I find space sims a bit clinical and boring. But Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a game that looks like it knows how to have fracking fun.
Out now on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has a Freelancer vibe (yes, yes I know it’s a sequel to Rebel Galaxy, but I’ll admit I’ve never crossed paths with it), skirting the edges of Dodge Sector law to smuggle, trade and board rival ships. Plus it looks amazing, an animated movie spliced with dirty space opera.
And to show that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw really gets it, there’s 24-hours worth of music to boombox in your cockpit, and a bevy of games to play while the ship is on autopilot, like 8-ball, arcade machines and dice-poker. You could accuse me of missing the point, but the game also allows you to make your own ship decals with a full 3D graphics application.
Okay, okay, the spacefaring stuff is here too. You play a debt-ridden space flunky called Juno Markev, and it’s up to you how you make your money back. Claim bounties, board ships, and dogfight like there’s no tomorrow. There’s 40 systems to navigate and a full conversation system, so you may even find yourself a green-skinned alien to woo.
- *A full single player story campaign, with plenty of room to do your own thing and make some money — or some mayhem. The big empty of space is actually brimming with lowlifes, cops, pirates, and blue-collar folks just trying to get by.
- *Unique Autopursuit feature makes space combat accessible to everyone — play the way you want with game styles that accommodate novices and veterans.
- *Slap down some cash for the right ship for the wrong job. Outfit your starship with a vast array of weapons, armor, and gear, then get flying.
- *Gamble for cash and equipment at the local watering hole with various side games, including: 8-ball, dice poker, slot machines and arcade games.
- *Slide into your cockpit, switch on the Subspace Radio and listen to one of seven stations with over 21 hours of music, DJs and commercials.
- *Meet and befriend an array of sketchy characters and call them up to lend a hand when needed.
This one looks like it might be stellar. Stick a note in your captain’s log to pick it up today for £24.99 on Xbox One, and it’s also docking onto Switch and PlayStation 4. It’s been out for a few months on PC via Steam, too, if that’s more your thing.
Out of cash, out of luck, out on the fringe. Juno Markev has a killer to tail, a debt to pay, and more trouble headed her way. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw takes place in a greasy, blue-collar world of outlaws, truckers, cops and thieves. Strap into a variety of spacecraft, settle a score in a filthy space-bar over a game of 8-ball, rock out to over 24 hours of music, and engage in white-knuckle dogfights. In the Dodge Sector it’s hard to get by – and even harder to get even.