Listening to the developers of 9 Monkeys of Shaolin talk about their inspirations, it’s clear that they live and breathe martial arts movies. Frustrated at a lack of games that captured the atmosphere of a Bruce Lee, Sonny Chiba or Jackie Chan flick, they decided to make their own. 9 Monkeys of Shaolin launches today on Xbox One, PS4, Switch and PC via Steam.
These are the brains responsible for Redeemer, a brutal and bloody beat’em up that tickled our adrenal glands, so Sobaka Studios know how to crunch a fist into a face. Going by the trailer, they also know how to make violence look beautiful, as this cel-shaded romp is pretty darn stonking on the eyes. The animations are slick, and each hit seems to ripple seismically outwards, making you feel like a badass.
Intriguingly, this doesn’t seem like a raid on Chinese culture – this is a Chinese production that authentically presents the martial art weapons, fighting styles and period. You’re a fisherman in Medieval China, avenging the deaths of your family and friends at the hands of pirates. You train under the watchful eyes of the Shaolin monks, and use your learnings – including the titular 9 Monkeys style – to rain down revenge.
The game can be played entirely in co-op, and there are plenty of jaws, arms and joints to break across 25 varied levels. As you would hope for from a modern beat ‘em up, there’s an expansive progression track to finetune your character, so it won’t just be mindless mayhem.
“We’re extremely happy that this day has finally arrived! Gamers across the globe can dive into the legend of Shaolin monks starting now!” Said Dmitry Kachkov, Founder of Sobaka Studio. “It’s been a long and exciting three-year journey and we used all the experience we had earned to create a unique game full of adventures, challenges and that distinct warm atmosphere of good old-fashioned kung fu action movies.”
- 3 unique fighting styles: fight on earth, in the air or use mysterious magic seals. Combine these elements to defeat every enemy on your way.
- Captivating narrative: discover the fascinating story of Wei Cheng and follow him as he rises from a simple fisherman to the master of Shaolin martial arts.
- Stunning visual style: unlikely combination of historical and mystical elements gives you an exciting experience from every scene appears on screen.
- Extensive character development system: you learn a great deal of ways to victory as you discover various unlockable perks, items and fighting styles.
- More than 25 different levels: Chinese villages, pirate ship, Buddhist monasteries, Japanese mansions, ancient ruins and many more.
- 10 types of Chinese and Japanese polearms, each with its unique traits. Discover the landscapes to find new items!
- Co-op play: invite your friend to help you fight through growing waves of enemies and complete the game together.
This one has all the signs of being a success, and we can’t wait to wrap our wrists and get bloody. Expect a review for this one very soon.
9 Monkeys of Shaolin is out now on Xbox One and will cost you £24.99. It’s also out on PS4, Switch and PC via Steam. It’s also out physically, should you want it proudly on your shelf.
MASTER YOUR ART, MASTER YOUR DESTINY. In this beat ’em up game you’ll play as the Chinese fisherman Wei Cheng who wants to avenge the death of his friends and family. Get your battle staff ready for a challenging adventure in Medieval China and for merciless fights with hordes of various enemies. Action-packed battles, user friendly controls and incredible atmosphere of great kung-fu movies of 70s – all this makes 9 Monkeys of Shaolin a perfect choice for every true fan of really hardcore brawlers.