When Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition dropped onto console in the early stages of 2023, there were concerns. Gamers wondered how the complex control scheme would work. Whether or not a PC centred titles would have a place on console. Any worries were soon dismissed though, with a controller integration from heaven. We’re hoping the same can be said now that Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition is on Game Pass and Xbox.
Age of Empires IV – now on Xbox
Previously limited to the world of PC, Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition breaks out onto console. It’s playable on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, but it’s probably the move to Xbox Game Pass that makes the most sense. An Xbox Game Studios title, that was always going to be the case, and finally it’s here.
You’ll probably have played an Age of Empires title, but Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition could well be the best yet. Taking armies and battling through history, there’s promise that this will be the best of all console strategy games.
It comes to Game Pass and Xbox with a console specific UI, a deep tutorial to talk newbies through, and more. There’s even the chance to play Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition on Game Pass and Xbox with keyboard and mouse if you would prefer. The likes of the Razer Turret would seem perfect.
And no matter how you wish to play Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition, there’s a ton of content included. You’re not looking at an evening’s worth of gaming here either. This promises to deliver hundreds of hours of play.
A host of features
- Return to History – The past is prologue as you are immersed in a rich historical setting of 10 diverse civilizations across the world from the English to the Chinese to the Delhi Sultanate in your quest for victory. Build cities, manage resources, and lead your troops to battle on land and at sea in 4 distinct campaigns with 35 missions that span across 500 years of history from the Dark Ages up to the Renaissance.
- Choose Your Path to Greatness with Historical Figures – Live the adventures of Joan of Arc in her quest to defeat the English, or command mighty Mongol troops as Genghis Khan in his conquest across Asia.
- The choice is yours – and every decision you make will determine the outcome of history. Challenge the World – Jump online to compete, cooperate or spectate with up to 7 of your friends in PVP and PVE multiplayer modes on Xbox One Series X I S and up to 3 friends on Xbox One. (Online console multiplayer requires Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Live Gold, subscriptions sold separately.)
- Play Custom Games with Mods (Beta) – Play custom skirmish and multiplayer maps, unique mission scenarios, data driven tuning packs and new modes of play for Age of Empires IV.
- An Age for All Players – Age of Empires IV is an inviting experience for new players with a console-specific tutorial that teaches the essence of real-time strategy and a Campaign Story Mode designed for first time players to help achieve easy setup and success, yet is challenging enough for veteran players with new game mechanics, evolved strategies, and combat techniques.
Download Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition on Game Pass and Xbox Now!
If you found yourself loving AoE II on Xbox and Game Pass, then you’re going to love Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition. Hit up the Xbox Store right now, take home a download and enjoy the navigation through history that it allows.
Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition is playable on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One. You can play through Game Pass, on the Cloud Gaming services too. If you would prefer to purchase outright, you’re looking at a £34.99 price tag.
Our review of Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition on Game Pass and Xbox is coming soon.
For years you’ve battled armies and made history your story. Now it’s time to make history once more with a new breakthrough in strategy gaming – introducing Age of Empires IV: Anniversary Edition now available on Xbox One consoles.* Enjoy innovative ways to play one of the most beloved strategy games ever with native inputs for Xbox controller, console-specific user interface, and a new tutorial designed for first time players to help achieve easy setup and success. Additionally, if you prefer playing with a keyboard and mouse you can easily plug directly into your console. Return