Atari are on a proper charge, providing gamers with a host of gaming options. Their latest announcement focuses on an original, a new tactical turn-based roguelite. Days of Doom.
Ghastly mutants and zombies await in Days of Doom, the latest new entry into the long and storied history of Atari. We’re expecting to see this one release on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4/5, Nintendo Switch, PC and Atari VCS later in 2023.
Turn-based tactics await!
Days of Doom is a new turn-based tactical affair, one that mixes in some good old roguelite action as it goes. Promising to reinvent the tried and trusted formula, Atari are adding in quirky characters, tons of enemies and some engaging combat for good measure. Oh, and it’ll all be set against a vibrant, yet eerie, backdrop.
It’s got focus on how the apocalypse wasn’t actually the end of the world. See, Days of Doom will whisk us off to a post-apocalyptic land where zombies, raiders, zombie raiders, and mutant lizards roam free. There are probably some mutant lizard zombie raiders included too.
Days of Doom will see you attempting to navigate your way through a wasteland in hope of reaching sanctuary. By leading a group of uniquely skilled survivors, you must strategically manoeuvre through hordes of undead and other threatening adversaries, managing hard-earned resources, and devising tactics that will allow you to outsmart the undead and mutated swarms.
Survivor skills you say?
Only by mastering the art of turn-based combat will survival be found in this tortured realm. But thankfully you’ll be well equipped. Each archetypal character class possesses unique abilities that, when skilfully employed, can turn the tide of battle. You’ll be found kickstarting the chaos with Pyro, setting foes ablaze for lingering damage. You will also unleash the unstoppable duo of Hydromancer and Thrasher, a formidable pair drenching enemies with watery assaults and delivering electrifying surprises.
And whilst the odds may seem insurmountable, strategic utilization of each class’ talents, combined with timely upgrades and new abilities, will be the key to overcoming the undead menaces.
What’s more, procedurally generated landscapes and the unpredictability of enemy encounters will ensure each playthrough offers a fresh opportunity to hone your survival skills. You know what that means? Yeah, Days of Doom will continually push you to be at the very top of your game.
Hand-drawn art is just the start
The key features of Days of Doom include:
- Beautifully animated hand-drawn art that brings the quirky vision of the post-apocalypse to life
- Eight character classes, each equipped with unique default and special abilities
- A dozen enemies from the archetypal zombie to deadly raiders and mutant reptilians, to explosive monstrosities, and two surprisingly brutal boss fights
- Over 50 randomly occurring events that present risk-reward scenarios
- Over 70 items and runes to collect to turn the odds in your favor
- Roguelite progression means no two runs will be the same, but you permanently upgrade stats like party size and speed of resource accumulation, which means each run will get you closer to reaching your goal
- Original orchestral soundtrack by Jelle Dittmar
When and where can you play Days of Doom?
Atari are looking to release Days of Doom later in 2023. It’ll be available on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, PC and Atari VCS. We’ll let you know when it is available.
For now, enjoy the announcement trailer.