With the likes of Back 4 Blood and Second Extinction aiming to revive the four-player co-op shooter last year, harkening back to the good ol’ days of Left 4 Dead, there looks to be no let-up of such titles in 2022. The Anacrusis is the latest game gunning for your heart, and as an Xbox Series X|S Optimised title developed by ex Valve and Riot developers, it’s got everything going for it.
Now available as a Game Preview (work in progress title) on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC, and available on Game Pass, this time around it’s not zombies or dinosaurs you will be taking down, but instead aliens! The game centers around four survivors aboard The Anacrusis – a spaceship that has, in typical fashion, been found overrun by black goopy creatures. It just so happens that Nessa, Guion, Liu and Lance have access to a multitude of weapons and other gadgets to fight back against the hordes of enemies. Such weapons range from the offensive – such as the stasis grenade freezing aliens in place – to the defensive, like the Respawner which brings deceased comrades back from the dead.
Where The Anacrusis may differ from other games of the same ilk is within the core gameplay loop – developers Stray Bombay are keen to emphasise that no two battles are the same. Not only is this due to the number of upgrades you can stack onto your weapons to form the ultimate killing machine, but this is especially thanks to The Anacrusis’ AI Driver. This intelligent AI will spawn enemies, weapons and bosses in the places that will make for the most tense and awesome moments. Perhaps you have all just upgraded your weapons – the AI thinks it is time for a boss!
And of course, The Anacrusis would not be complete without playing with others, and four players can play online, with cross-play enabled between Xbox and PC. If you find yourself on your lonesome, the matchmaking system will pair you with others based on your playstyle, too.
“It’s launch day! After years of work and sharing The Anacrusis with thousands of playtesters, we are finally ready to launch. As we head out into Early Access, our small team is excited to build the next phase of The Anacrusis along with the community of dedicated fans of co-op shooters. We will be listening to feedback as well as adding new weapons, enemies, and perks, so please share your ideas on our Discord (https://discord.gg/straybombay/) and stop by and play a session or two with us!” – Chet Faliszek, Stray Bombay Co-Founder
- Four-player Cooperative Fun – Team up with your friends in an infinitely-replayable fight against alien hordes to unlock perks, weapons, and new ways to play that you can share with your team!
- A Fight For Survival Is Just the Beginning – The first season of The Anacrusis tells the story of four unlikely survivors – Nessa, Guion, Liu, and Lance – who are unwilling combatants in the battle to defend humanity from the alien menace. Unlock more of the unfolding mystery of the alien attack.
- Fight Aliens Using Fantastical Weapons – Battle the alien menace using an astounding arsenal of classic sci-fi weapons. Buy yourself some time with a stasis grenade, toss a shield grenade to provide instant cover while you pop off a heal, and bring your friends back to life using the Respawner. Or throw caution to the wind and burn friend and foe alike with the laser rifle.
- Earn New Perks and Change the Way You Play – Matter compilers spread throughout the game give you access to dozens of perks that will change the way you play. Stack all of your upgrades to power up the last-resort pistol or boost your defense by supercharging your shield pulse. Unlock new perks as you play, and share your unlocks with everyone on your team!
- Never Fight the Same Battle Twice – In The Anacrusis, the AI Director 2.0 controls every aspect of the game. It spawns every enemy, directs each boss, and places every weapon, gadget, and health kit. No matter your skill level, you’ll find the perfect level of challenge. More than that, the Director 2.0 creates the kinds of video game moments that you can’t wait to tell your friends about.
- PC Friends, Meet Console Friends – The Anacrusis supports full cross-play between all platforms at launch, so players can play with their friends across all supported platforms.
The Anacrusis is now available on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One for £24.99, and can also be found on PC. Head down to the Xbox Store to pick it up on Xbox, but remember it is also available from launch on Game Pass.
Just remember, this is a Game Preview title so it is still seen as a bit of work in progress.
The Anacrusis is a four-player, cooperative first-person shooter set aboard a massive starship stranded at the edge of explored space. Team up with your friends in an infinitely-replayable fight against alien hordes to unlock perks, weapons, and new ways to play that you can share with your team!