It’s a momentous day: we’re getting the first Dragon Quest to ever launch on an Xbox console. It’s only taken XI mainline games and countless spin-offs to get there, but thank you Square Enix – it’s appreciated. But let’s not stop the appreciation there, as we’re getting a dedicated Xbox One and Series X|S experience that is launching, day one, on Xbox Game Pass with Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, and with Xbox Play Anywhere support. Hallelujah!
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S, and Win10 PC. This is an expanded (some would say ‘definitive’) version of the original, which came out on the PS4, PS5, Switch and PC.
Whew, that title’s a big one; Square Enix know how to make their titles unwieldy. It’s long-hand for what we’re getting: the classic 3DS Dragon Quest that was completely reworked for the PS4, and now expanded for the Xbox One and Series X|S. That expansion includes character-specific missions that encourage you to get to know your team further, exploring their past.
It doesn’t stop there, as there’s the gimmicky but admittedly amazing 2D 16-bit mode, that allows you to switch to a top-down pixel-RPG at the touch of a button. It may not be available for every location in the game, but it seems pretty comprehensive. The mind boggles at how Square Enix pulled that one off. There are other, smaller improvements too, as combat can be accelerated for those who want to speed through the game and grind up that XP, while it’s possible to switch to an orchestral version of the score.
Let’s not forget the sheer wealth of game here. This is an 100+ hour opus that casts you as The Luminary, an outcast in the world of Erdrea. Everyone wants you dead, it seems, which is fine as the traditional turn-based combat has been given a modern twist.
- – ENJOY THE MASSIVE CONTENT of the base game plus new character-specific scenarios, which offer the possibility to learn more about some of your favourite companions.
- – PLAY AS YOU WANT, switch between 3D HD or 2D 16-bit modes, original soundtrack or orchestral version of the music, and English or Japanese audio.
- – DIVE INTO THE 16-BIT WORLD OF TICKINGTON – an additional side-quests area that see you journeying to past DRAGON QUEST worlds reimagined in retro style.
- – SPEED UP BATTLE BY X2 AND X4, ride new mountable monsters and attack with them on the field to earn experience points.
- – SPICE UP THE ADVENTURE with new three Draconian Quest settings such as ‘Super Shypox’, ‘Townsfolk Talk Tripe’, or ‘Party Wiped Out if Protagonist Perishes’.
- – IMMORTALISE YOUR ADVENTURE WITH THE PHOTO MODE, pose each of the characters and snap some pictures with the beautifully designed world of Erdrea in the background.
Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age S – Definitive Edition is out now on Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S and starts at £34.99 if you fail to take advantage of the Xbox Game Pass love. Remember you get Xbox Play Anywhere support too.
The ultimate edition of the latest major entry in the legendary RPG series! Embark upon an epic adventure as The Luminary: the chosen one in a world that vows to hunt him down. The Luminary and his unique band of loyal companions work together to survive an onslaught of ne’er-do-wells and overthrow the dark forces that plot to plunge the world of Erdrea into chaos. Explore the massive world of DRAGON QUEST and awaken your power in this can’t-miss adventure!