We’ve been keeping an eye on the progress of Lost Words: Beyond the Page for a few years now. After first stumbling upon it out an event back in 2017, and then all but losing hope after the initial 2018 launch and then a 2019 release was pushed back, it’s been a game that has been at the back of our minds, patiently waiting to burst into the limelight. With a stupidly strong narrative pushing it along, some glorious visuals that immerse the player fully, and some utterly unique gameplay, it’s with great pleasure that we finally find Lost Words: Beyond the Page launching on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC.
Previously dropping onto Google Stadia and now hitting Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC, Lost Words: Beyond the Page comes about via a collaboration between Modus Games and the developers at Sketchbook Games – if ever a development name was suited to a title, this is it.
Lost Words sees us joining the life of a young girl, Izzy, as she begins to come to terms with the loss of one close to her. It’s this which provides the backbone for her adventure as she moves through a surreal tale that twists and turns at every moment. This is powered by a narrative that has been penned by none other than Rhianna Pratchett (yep, of Mirror’s Edge and Tomb Raider fame), giving us gamers the chance to explore a wonderful adventure .
Priced at £11.99, Lost Words: Beyond the Page mixes a few different gameplay styles to bring an experience that is pretty unique. 2D adventure platforming will see you helping Izzy solve puzzles by literally walking on the words of a book, as you rip them out and utilise their powers for progress. It’s certainly very innovative, but it works brilliantly, as our full review of Lost Words: Beyond the Page on Xbox will show you.
Throw in that stunning visual style and you’ve got a world that is rich for exploration as you attempt to create a safe path for Izzy’s footsteps.
- – 2D Adventure Platforming. – Navigate beautiful 2D worlds set inside a young girl’s diary by walking on the words and using them as tools to solve different puzzles.
- – Immersive Storytelling. – Traverse an emotionally moving and fully-voiced narrative by renowned games writer Rhianna Pratchett as the player makes decisions which shape the events that take place.
- – Breathtaking Visual Style. – Discover the watercolor world presented in the pages of the diary as well as the vibrant fantasy world of Estoria.
- – Innovative Gameplay. – Harness words to alter the environment to create a safe passage for the protagonist in an entirely unique and refreshing style of platforming.”
- – Meaningful Exploration. – Gather firefly collectibles scattered across the lands of Estoria for an additional challenge.
We highly advise you give Lost Words: Beyond the Page a shot. It’s available right now on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S (the Xbox Store is right here), PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch, Google Stadia and PC. Let us know in the comments what you think about it.
Interact with the words inscribed in the pages of a young girl’s diary to solve challenging puzzles, tackle unique platforming segments and discover an emotional tale set across the vibrant world of Estoria in Lost Words: Beyond the Page. Personal diary entries belonging to a young girl named Izzy will unfold as you explore a fantasy land where words hold immense power. Featuring an immersive story crafted by renowned games writer Rhianna Pratchett, Lost Words: Beyond the Page will mesmerize players with its unique blend of gameplay mechanics and striking watercolor aesthetic. Driven by the player’s curiosity, the world of Estoria and the power it holds will serve as the engine that will propel Izzy through this deeply personal narrative, resulting in a truly memorable experience.