Warcave are a Belgian development team focused on creating groundbreaking titles for PC and next-gen consoles, with the strategy and RPG scenes of most interest. And with that in mind, they’ve revealed Black Legend – a new turn-based RPG that will be coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC in 2021. Want to know more?
In Black Legend you will get the chance to lead a band of mercenaries into the cursed city of Grant, before mastering the art of alchemy and mixing in some old school strategy ideas as you make your way through a fantasy world that has been directly inspired by folklore and stories from 17th-century Belgium and the Netherlands.
Grant is a metropolis shrouded in a deadly fog that inflicts madness upon anyone in its path. it’ll be up to you to explore this world, attempting to piece together stories from survivors, discover new equipment and classes for your team, and delve into many locations during your quest to discover how to stop the city’s curse from spreading.
But it won’t just be about the exploration and by utilising steel, alchemy, and close-quarter tactics, will find yourself battling a deadly cult of fanatics and devout followers of the great alchemist Mephisto, who have taken control of the city. As you do so, expect to be taken on a narrative-fuelled adventure, meet up with many an NPC, and build out your character set, with many options available in terms of customisation. Throw in the need to work with aggressive combos and strategic calls, and you’ve got a game with the lot. At least, that’s the hope for when Warcave drop it in 2021.
The key features of Black Legend on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch and PC include:
- Strategy-Focused Gameplay: Approach each combat with a tactical focus, where unit placement, ability combos, and well-chosen attacks are key to survival. Black Legend focuses on old school strategy vibes, but without the 95% percent chance misses.
- Explosive Combos: Mix up your ranged and melee combat by using alchemy for a wide array of explosive effects. Combine stacks of four different alchemic attacks to injure, poison, and debilitate your foes, but be warned, they will do the same to you.
- Extensive Character Customization: Build your mercenary band with a wide array of classes, each with unique abilities. Improve each of your mercenaries with new weapons, armor, and trinkets, and create your own ability sets by equipping cross-class abilities.
- Choose Your Difficulty: For those who wish to see the story, the path can be gentle. For those who wish for difficulty, even the slightest mistake will be greatly punished.
- Historic Enemies: Black Legend fills the city of Grant with creatures from Belgian, Dutch, and German folklore like nekkers, Halewijn, Witte Wieven and Old Red Eyes.
- An Engaging Story: Dive into the narrative through environmental storytelling, colorful NPCs, and rich set pieces.
- An Entire City to Explore: Free-exploration lets you investigate the many alleys and streets in the city of Grant. Different districts host a wide variety of architecture and environments — you never know where you’ll discover a hidden path, a treasure trove of new items, hidden quest, or recruitable character.
Interested? Check out the announcement trailer below and then let us know your thoughts. We’d love to hear from you.