What’s that? A game releasing in 2023? Surely not? Well, yep, that’s exactly what is happening as Planet Cube: Edge gets ready to run, jump and blast onto PC and console.
From the Firestoke team – a group who are looking to publish games that spark joy – Planet Cube: Edge is a new puzzling platformer which will release on PC and console in early 2023, and whilst we’re not entirely sure what ‘consoles’ that will be, we’re jumping in with Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch releases being on the cards. Of course, once that can be confirmed, we’ll let you know for sure.
Sold as a pixel precision platformer, Planet Cube: Edge from Firestoke and the developers at Sunna Entertainment will let you work your way through a 2D run and gun world, as you hope to uncover the truth behind why a usually peaceful world has been hit by an unknown force.
It places you in the cuboid shoes of Edge, an engineer who has a decent little touch in shooting, jumping and dashing, allowing you to wander through an Underwater Weapons Facility that is packed with peril.
From there, it’s understanding the pixel precision skills that will be at the fore of your mind. See, Sunna Entertainment epic places the arts of precision and skill front and centre, dressing the entire adventure in beautifully handcrafted pixel art. It’s a classic combination of being easy to learn but hard to master, delivering the kind of addictive ‘just one more go’ flow indie core players thrive on.
“The moment we first set eyes upon Planet Cube: Edge our team was in love,” says Firestoke CEO Paul Farley. “The retro visual style was what immediately attracted us, but once we started playing we couldn’t put the gamepad down! We are therefore over the moon to be working with the talented team at Sunna Entertainment to bring this amazing game to PC and Console players across the globe early in 2023. Planet Cube: Edge represents the unashamed joy over unabated violence mantra we live by at Firestoke and is the perfect example of the kind of game we want to help bring to market.”
“Planet Cube: Edge has from the beginning been a game originated in our love for games that feel good to play and hard to put down. We strive to create a game we are truly proud of, and long nights and long days have and are being spent doing this,” adds Emilio Monge Vasquez, CTO at Sunna Entertainment. “We’re really happy to be working with a publisher like Firestoke that sees this and shares our thoughts on how fun our game truly is. See you all on PCs and consoles near you in early 2023.”
“After years of hard work we are finally close to releasing Planet Cube: Edge. It’s difficult to express how happy we are and we just can’t wait to get it out there so players can experience it,” says Virgilio Solis Rojas, CEO at Sunna Entertainment.
Key features? Yeah, we got plenty of those…
- A Hero’s Journey: Play as Edge, an unlikely hero who is thrown into the midst of a mysterious alien invasion that threatens his homeworld.
- Precision Platforming: Fast-paced, precision platforming that is easy to learn but tricky to master. Hand-tailored challenges will test your skills as you navigate the facility.
- Epic Boss Fights: Four gigantic bosses which test your skill, reflexes, and determination!
- Tough But Fair: Regular checkpoints, immediate respawns, and unlimited attempts provide an accessible precision platforming experience.
- Level Variety: Traverse and dash through 8 levels including a high-tech underwater weapons facility, submerged rooms, train stations, and surface structures.
- A Visual Treat: Meticulously handcrafted pixel art which is stunning in motion with high frame rate animations and memorable character designs.
- Leaderboards: Battle your way to the top of the leaderboards by beating the community’s runs.
Planet Cube: Edge will be dropping in early 2023. We’ll be sure to let you know once we hear of a fully confirmed release date but for now you’ll do well to check out the trailer below.